As you might have seen from our impressions of our game over the weekend, Tempest 4000 is something special. Atari’s arcade classic is reborn with this game, with over 100 stages to blast through, along with a new wave visual style that comes straight from the heart of creator Jeff Minter. Fans are definitely in for a treat with this one when it releases this holiday season.
With that, Atari has released some new screenshots for the game, which you can find in the attached gallery, along with over five minutes of new gameplay footage, which you can see in the YouTube trailer above. One thing worth noting is that the soundtrack, which is taken straight from the Atari Jaguar classic Tempest 2000, isn’t quite finalized yet, but it should definitely be on the same level as what you hear in the trailer above.
Plus, check out how damn good it looks. Tempest 4000 has no trouble channeling in the classic Tempest vibe, while keeping vibrant visuals on the screen throughout. That’s all in due to the gorgeous 4K graphics that the game is capable of, along with the exciting new features that will keep players hungry for more.
“Tempest 4000 is a collaborative love-letter for Tempest fans from Minter and Atari that’s been enhanced for contemporary audiences with exciting new features and gorgeous 4K graphics. With three game modes to choose from and 100 levels to conquer, players must eliminate all enemies as quickly as possible to survive, aiming for the coveted spot at the top of the leaderboards,” the company noted in a press release.
Here’s the features list, in case you need the full rundown:
- Arcade Style Shooter: Blast down hordes of enemies in this fast-paced arcade style shoot ‘em up.
- Unparalleled Graphics: Experience Tempest 4000’s mind-blowing graphics in beautiful 4K resolution.
- Multiple Game Modes: Pick from three different game modes including Standard, Pure and Endurance that will push your skills to the limit.
- Level Up: Progress and clear through 100 unique geometric levels by destroying enemies with various weapons and power-ups, and earn upgrades through bonus rounds.
- Climb to the Top of the Leaderboards: Post your high score in your quest to be recognized as number one on the leaderboards.
- Retro Techno Soundtrack: Enjoy the beats of a thumping soundtrack inspired by early 1990’s techno.
- Old School Gameplay: Feeling nostalgic? Relive the traditional gameplay of the original Tempest with enhanced graphics on current generation consoles.