SEGA has been busy with the turn of the year. The SEGA Forever collection, a perpetually-growing roster of SEGA's best, most classic titles, is available for iOS and Android, bringing old school SEGA to a new-school platform. SEGA Forever already boasts titles like Sonic the Hedgehog and Streets of Rage, so while its newest addition -- Gunstar Heroes -- might not be the biggest surprise, it's a definite perk for those who grew up with the title. Check out the trailer below:
The initiative launched last year and has added a total of 17 big-name titles, ready to play on mobile devices during any commute or speck of downtime. Gunstar Heroes, which originally released in 1993, is a run-and-gun shoot em up and was the first title ever developed for mass consumption by Treasure. The mobile version comes with a few really cool upgrades, including online multi-player and the ability to save at any time. Here's what players can expect when they download the game to their mobile device:
- Mix and match four different weapon types for a total of 14 firearm combinations
- Local, cross-platform multiplayer over local Wi-Fi
- Grab and throw your partner at enemies for vital hits that don’t take up ammo!
- Seven levels to explore, from an ancient ruin to a vast orbital fortress
MOBILE GAME FEATURES:
- PLAY FREE with ad-support or ad-free via In-App Purchase
- SAVE YOUR GAMES – save your progress at any point in the game
- LEADERBOARDS – compete with the world for high scores
- HAPTIC SUPPORT: get into the game with responsive button presses
- CONTROLLER SUPPORT: HID compatible controllers
The SEGA Forever initiative is only just now ramping up, so it's likely that more updates within the coming months will add even more entries from the Sonic the Hedgehog saga and other classic games.
Gunstar Heroes is available to play now via iOS, Android, and Steam.