The fine folks at Quantum Mechanix (QMx) have revealed their latest product, and incredibly detailed, film-scale replica of Serenity, the ship from Joss Whedon's Firefly television series, and the ship that provided the name for the feature film followup.
And boy is it shiny.
QMx touts their replica as "Quite simply…the biggest, most-detailed, most-impressive replica of Serenity ever created," and calling it the culmination of ten years of work. The replica was modelled after digital files from Firefly and the Serenity movie, and is built to 1:124 scale. QMx will even do the service of arranging up to nine figures of the original cast on the bridge in any configuration you like.
Browncoats will have to dig deep into their pockets to own one of these beauties though. QMx is taking preorders now, for the price of $7,495.
QMx has been showing a lot of love for Firefly recently. The company is co-developing and publishing the upcoming Firefly Online MMO that will see the original cast reunite to lend their voices to the game.
You can check out images of the film-scale Serenity replica in the gallery at the bottom of this page. Here's the complete list of features on QMx's Serenity:
- Incredible complexity. More than 250 parts — cast and laser cut.
- Extra strength. Steel skeletal structure and internal brass structure for main engine rotation.
- Interior bling. More than 100 LEDs controlled by a 12-volt system.
- Multi-layered colors. A total of 25 different colors of high-quality studio paints.
- No decals. All graphics on Serenity are painted on by hand, even Serenity's logo.
- Exquisite details. Miniature bridge with crew members, galley with furniture and cargo bay with cargo.
- Movable parts. Manually operable cargo bay door and hinged reactor vent covers.
- Wireless remote. Custom electronics created by QMx FX Cinema Arts with a four-channel remote control. Effects include:
- Interior lighting for the bridge, galley and cargo bay, and illuminates docked shuttles.
- Active formation lights
- Rotating gravity rotor lights
- Reactor housing illumination with a hard burn and twinkling firefly effect.
- Cool display. Serenity's lighted display base is a box stand with a Translight inset of a nebula. It features a 12-inch steel stand that adjusts at a variety of angles for optimal display.
- Pro prop crate. Each Serenity is shipped in custom-cut foam and stored in a hand-built wooden apple crate, just like what the pros use to safeguard their props