Sylvester Stallone Says The Expendables 3 PG-13 Rating Was A Horrible Miscalculation

While the failure of The Expendables 3 can be blamed on a number of factors, one of the ones that got most fans up in arms was the decision to rate the movie at PG-13, rather than the R-rating that its two previous installments had.

With a fourth installment already in the planning stages, CraveOnline asked creator Sylvester Stallone whether he thought the next film would be R-rated.

"Absolutely unequivocally yes," Stallone said. "I believe it was a horrible miscalculation on everyone's part in trying to reach a wider audience, but in doing such, diminish the violence that the audience expects. I'm quite certain it won't happen again."

The Expendables 3 also leaked online prior to the film's release, in full and in high resolution. It had been a while since a movie of that magnitude had leaked prior to release  in high quality, but when they did, films like X-Men Origins: Wolverine and Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back had unfinished effects, having been leaked somewhere along the post production line. The Expendables 3 was theater-ready when it leaked, and many think that hurt the film at the box office as much or more than the rating.

Early reports indicated that Chuck Norris, a conservative Christian who appeared in The Expendables 2 and had objected to some of the film's language, wanted a PG-13 rating for the third movie and that the studio hoped to accommodate him. Norris, though, didn't return for the third installment so those reports seem dubious at best.

0comments

The Expendables 3 is available on home video Tuesday, in both an unrated cut and the theatrical version.