GKids has released the English trailer for Only Yesterday, the 1991 Studio Ghibli film coming to North American theaters for the first time in January.
Only Yesterday is written and directed by Ghibli co-founder Isao Takahata, and produced by Hayao Miyazaki.
The English dub features Daisy Ridley (Star Wars: The Force Awakens) in the lead role.
Here’s the film’s description, from GKids:
It's 1982, and Taeko (Daisy Ridley) is 27 years old, unmarried, and has lived her whole life in Tokyo. She decides to visit her family in the countryside, and as the train travels through the night, memories flood back of her younger years: the first immature stirrings of romance, the onset of puberty, and the frustrations of math and boys. At the station she is met by young farmer Toshio (Dev Patel), and the encounters with him begin to reconnect her to forgotten longings. In lyrical switches between the present and the past, Taeko contemplates the arc of her life, and wonders if she has been true to the dreams of her childhood self.
GKids also announced the list of theaters screening the film:
- New York - IFC Center
- Los Angeles, CA - Landmark Nuart Theater
- Irvine, CA - Regal Irvine
- San Francisco, CA - Landmark Theatres
- Berkeley, CA - Landmark Theatres
- Washington DC - Landmark E Street Cinema
- Boston, MA - Landmark Kendall Square
- San Diego, CA - Landmark Theatres
- Denver, CO - Landmark Theatres
- Portland, OR - Regal Fox Tower
- Austin, TX - Regal Arbor Hills
- Philadelphia, PA - Landmark Ritz at the Bourse
- Charlotte, NC - Regal Theater
- Toronto, ON - TIFF Bell Lightbox
- Columbus, OH - Gateway Film Center
- Buffalo, NY - North Park Theatre (February 27-28)
- Minneapolis, MN - Landmark Theatres
- Atlanta, GA - Landmark Midtown Art
- Waterloo, ON - Princess Cinema
- Ithaca, NY - Cornell Cinema (March 12-13)
- Vancouver, WA - Kiggins Theatre