Earlier today, the world learned who Lucasfilm brought on to guide its on-going Star Wars trilogy to an end. J.J. Abrams is the man who will write and direct Star Wars: Episode IX, but he wasn’t the first person Lucasfilm came to with an offer. If a new report is to be believed, then Rian Johnson had first dibs on the blockbuster.
Deadline is the site who scooped Abrams’ hire to the press, but its original article made a note about Johnson. The website’s said “Rian Johnson decided not to take the offer to come back and replace the recently departed Colin Trevorrow on Star Wars: Episode IX.”
For fans, the admission isn’t a surprising one, but there will be plenty disheartened to hear about Johnson’s decision. The director has bene a fan-favorite amongst Star Wars lovers, Johnson was the director most fans wanted to see take over Episode IX. However, Johnson did distance himself from the project earlier this week.
During a press event in Japan, Johnson directly addressed rumors about him taking over Episode IX.
"It was never in the plan for me to direct Episode IX, so I don't know what's going to happen with it," Johnson revealed.
"I'm not sure what's going to happen with it. For me, I was entirely focused on Episode VIII and having this experience. Now, I'm just thinking about putting the movie out there and seeing how audiences respond to it. So, no, I'm not really thinking about that right now."
In the past, Johnson said he was interested in making another Star Wars movie, but it looks like the director has had his fill for the time being. Abrams will return to the franchise after resurrecting Star Wars with The Force Awakens, so fans can look forward to the director bringing this sequel trilogy to a close in 2019.
Star Wars: The Last Jedi opens in theaters on Dec. 15, 2017. Are you excited for the next installment of the franchise? Give the film your Anticipation Ranking below!