Now that two trailers and a prologue for The Dark Knight Rises have been seen by many fans, there is a lot of debate and discussion going on about some of the quotes in The Dark Knight Rises. Some of the debate is around exactly what was said, since many have only seen bootleg versions with low quality audio at this point in time. Of course, there’s also the mini-controversy over being able to understand Bane.
Comicbook.com has compiled a list of our picks for the top ten quotes from the Dark Knight Rises so far. No surprise here, but Bane has some of the best quotes, as much of the early trailer and prologue footage has focused on him.
10. “First one to talk gets to stay on my aircraft.” – A CIA Agent making a threat to three hostages, one of whom is Bane.
9. “No one cared who I was until I put on the mask.” – Bane responding to a CIA agent, who asked who he was.
8. “You are as precious to me as you were to your own mother and father. I swore to them that I would protect you, and I haven’t.” – Alfred Pennyworth expressing his feelings to Bruce Wayne.
7. “If you make yourself more than just a man, if you devote yourself to an ideal, then you become something else entirely, a legend, Mr. Wayne, a legend.” – Ra’s Al Ghul.
6. “It would be extremely painful…for you.” – Bane responding to a CIA who asked if Bane would die if he pulled his mask off. You don’t tug on Superman’s cape. You don’t spit into the wind. You don’t pull the mask off Bane.
5. “We were in this together, but then you were gone. And now, there’s evil rising. The Batman has to come back.” – A hospitalized Commissioner Gordon speaking to an off-camera Bruce Wayne.
4. “What if he doesn’t exist anymore?” – Bruce Wayne responding to Commissioner Gordon saying the Batman must come back.
3. “Or perhaps he’s wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.” – Bane to a CIA agent, who just shot a hostage before pushing him out the door of a plane. Bane makes a good point. Why waste a bullet?
2. “You really think this is going to last? There's a storm coming Mr. Wayne. You and your friends better batten down the hatches, because when it hits you're all going to wonder how you ever thought you could live so large and leave so little for the rest of us.” – Selina Kyle whispers in Bruce Wayne’s ear, while dancing with him at an upscale party. Could Catwoman be portrayed as a Robin Hood type character in The Dark Knight Rises?
1. “When Gotham is in ashes... you have my permission to die.” – Bane to an injured Bruce Wayne. Perhaps, the most powerful quote from the movie so far. Could the Batman dies rumors be true?