The Nintendo Switch eShop has been updated again for the week, and while we’re still (patiently) waiting for Super Mario Odyssey to arrive (just two more weeks…), we’ve got plenty of indie favorites and action titles to check out, including a couple of classics and some fresh blood that will no doubt keep you occupied.
Let’s talk about our top picks for the week, as well as other games hitting the service that are well worth a look. Save some room on your memory card and build up that eShop credit!
First up, we have to talk about Fully Illustrated’s Wulverblade, a side scrolling hack-and-slash adventure that will remind you of some of the best games from the genre, including the classic Castle Crashers. This one has a great Nordic vibe, as you slash your way through dangerous enemies with a trio of characters, while at the same time leveling up for the later battles that lie ahead. Featuring an exquisite art style and tons of enemies to tear to pieces, Wulverblade will definitely put you in an old-school frame of mind.
Next up, we have Nicalis’ Tiny Barbarian, a side-scrolling adventure reminiscent of the retro 16-bit style platformers from the SNES era. You portray a Conan-like warrior as he battles all sorts of evil forces, all while trying to get revenge on the titan that wronged him. Filled with platforming challenges, hidden goodies and a fun retro presentation, this Tiny Barbarian gets a lot done with his miniscule size. If platformers are your thing, or you seek a challenge, he’s well worth recruiting.
If it’s adventure you’re after, there’s Yono and the Celestial Elephants, an isometric puzzle-adventure game that has some of the cutest art you’ll ever see in a game. Seriously, just look at the elephant featured in the screenshot above. Adorable. This game has you using your elephant to fend off enemies, with water sprays, flames and more, while solving puzzles and talking with characters that offer up a handful of side quests. There are also hidden treasures aplenty, so the game offers a tremendous amount of replay value. This is one game fans of adventure will want to remember.
Let’s run down the other titles featured in this week’s Nintendo Switch update!
- Touhou Kobuto V: Burst Battle – think “bullet hell” style tactics, but set up in a fighting ring, where you take on a number of opponents. Unique and fun, and ideal for those looking for an anime-style effort for the Switch.
- 88 Heroes: 98 Heroes Edition – a side-scrolling action game where you use a high count of heroes to get the job done, each with special abilities.
- The King of Fighters ’95 – Neo-Geo fans will remember this one, a classic beat-em-up with a large list of characters and solid control options. It’s time to fight!
- The Flame In The Flood: Complete Edition – a thrilling adventure where you scour a land of darkness, taking on all sorts of challenges that come your way.
- Neon Chrome – a futuristic top-down shooter where you take on a number of enemies using whatever weapons you can get your hands on. Perfect if you’re looking for something with a Blade Runner 2049 style vibe.
- Squareboy vs. Bullies: Arena Edition – a side-scrolling beat-em-up where you take on some weird looking bullies, all in the name of justice. There’s a quirky little art style here that may appeal to some fans.
- Unbox: Newbie’s Adventure – an open-world platforming adventure where you guide different box characters across a variety of challenges. It definitely has its moments.
That’s it for this week’s Switch update, but be sure to check back next week to see what other games are offered!