Some fans were looking forward to, ahem, “flipping out” with Pinball FX3 tomorrow on Nintendo Switch. Unfortunately, you’ll have to wait just a little bit longer before you get your pinball fix.
Zen Studios, the developer behind the forthcoming pinball compilation, have announced that the game has been delayed from its original November 14th release date. It noted that the game will come in December, and as for the reasoning behind the delay, it's looking to add a vertical way to play the game with a single JoyCon -- so that it's set up like a classic pinball machine. On top of that, there's also going to be HD Rumble features added, so that it feels more dynamic than ever. (And the team did note it would be "busy" playing L.A. Noire and Rocket League tomorrow -- just like us!)
The game, which will be free to download and comes with one table, Sorcerer’s Lair, already available, should offer a number of great tables based on hit franchises, including Bob’s Burgers, Family Guy, Archer, The Walking Dead and classic Universal films like Jaws, Back To the Future and E.T. The Extra Terrestrial. You can find the full rundown of tables that will be available for purchase below:
- Universal Classics Pinball (Back to the Future,E.T. The Extra Terrestrial, Jaws)
- Aliens vs. Pinball (Aliens, Alien vs. Predator, Alien: Isolation)
- Balls of Glory (Family Guy, Bob’s Burgers, Archer, American Dad!)
- The Walking Dead
- Carnivals & Legends (Adventure Land Pinball, Son of Zeus)
- Zen Classics (Shaman, Tesla, El Dorado, V12)
- Core Collection (Pasha, Rome, Biolab, Secrets of the Deep)
- Medieval Pack (Epic Quest, Excalibur)
- Sci-Fi Pack (Mars, Paranormal, Earth Defense)
- Iron & Steel (Wild West Rampage, CastleStorm)
More tables are also expected to release in the months ahead, including the company’s many licensed Marvel and Star Wars tables, though a specific time frame wasn’t given.
Here’s a rundown of the features for the game:
- Now every table is an RPG.Simply playing a table yields experience points and level advancements that continually unlock the potential for bigger points…and bigger blowouts of your friends’ scores on the leaderboards. Strategic thinking comes into play when determining which power-ups to equip—one table might be best suited for a Skillshot Score Increase and Multiball Score Bonus, while another might better benefit from Combo Time Bonus and Distance Bonus team-up.
- Players level up.The more you play, the higher your own personal experience level increases.
- Anyone can start their own tournament.In addition to tournaments run by Zen (often involving fantastic prizes), Pinball FX3 allows players to create and customize their own tournaments, including access to several modes of play.
- Advanced multiplayer featuresallow for intelligent matching against others based on skill level. This applies to everything from immediate friendly matches to ultracompetitive League Play.
- Cross-play enables Nintendo Switch players to take on opponents competing on most other platforms where Pinball FX3is available.
- New game modes will change the way you play even tables you feel you’ve already mastered. Playing a 1-Ball Challenge, a 5-Minute Challenge or Survival Mode will cause you to completely rethink your approach in order to top the leaderboards.
So, you’ll be waiting a little bit – but don’t worry, it’ll be worth it!