For the past few days players around the world have been spending countless hours exploring Call of Duty: WWII's closed beta, and the reaction has been somewhat mixed. The general consensus seems to be that CoD: WWII presents some good new ideas, but multiplayer is still in a rather rough state in many ways. Of course, ironing out issues is what a beta is for, and developer Sledgehammer Games is promising numerous fixes, but the number of problems is somewhat concerning.
According to numerous threads on Reddit and NeoGAF, a lot of players aren't exactly wowed by Call of Duty: WWII's new Divisions system. Unlike the old Create-a-Class system, the perks available to you are very restricted depending on which Division you choose. This may mean certain playstyles will no longer be available.
There's also been a lot of debate about how time to kill (TTK) works in Call of Duty: WWII. TTK is, simply, the measure of how long it takes a certain gun to kill an opponent from the time you push the trigger. Shouldn't be that controversial, right? Well, TTK seems to be rather inconsistent in CoD: WWII, with opponents sometimes taking longer to kill than they should. Even more annoying, sometimes enemies will kill you more quickly than you can kill them with the same gun. It seems server lag may be to blame for this, although at this point nobody quite knows for sure.
In addition to these big issues, a number of other problems have been acknowledged by Sledgehammer Games, who are working on fixes as we speak. These include:
- We are aware that some strict Nat types and firewall combinations may experiences issues going into a match with a party.
- There is a collision issue with the paratrooper scorestreak on Gibraltar that can cause the troopers to fail to drop into the match due to a bad landing zone.
- When the Expeditionary Division is leveled up to rank 2, the player may be unable to equip a second grenade.
- When the Infantry Division is leveled up to rank 2, the player may be unable to equip a third primary attachment slot.
- The Activision code redemption site was offline briefly today due to site issues. All issues were resolved by early afternoon.
- A couple of our dedicated servers auto-installed an OS patch today. This caused a short period of higher than expected latency hits to in-progress matches on those servers. Most were minimal, however some game play artifacts were noticed for a brief period.
- We're investigation a rare bug where motion blur does not reset correctly.
- Occasionally, extended time to access the After-Action Report can result in the countdown clock being too short between matches.
- We love the positive reactions to the new overhead camera eSports feature. In response to feedback about visibility of objectives, especially Hardpoints, we are currently working on solutions for launch.
- Some players are reporting getting trapped in an update loop after they are prompted to restart their game to complete an update of the client. We have been resolving these through basic troubleshooting and are investigating further steps.
- You have asked about a color blind setting in the menu. While not in the Beta, we have been working to have this for launch.
- In response to all the requests for bumper jumper configuration, we also plan to support this for launch.
- We've heard your feedback regarding playlist variety, and have made some adjustments to improve this. You know what else would improve it? More maps and modes.
- We've heard your feedback on the Paratroopers scorestreak having some edge case issues. We made some adjustments today, but they didn't address the core issue in the way we wanted. We've got new fixes coming soon.
- We are investigating a bug that causes some players to be kicked back to the Main Menu after accepting an invite from the load screen of any map.
- There is a bug causing the title to crash when an invitee accepts an invite while entering a match when the inviter is also entering the match.
- Some of you have noted that the incendiary shells feel too strong. We're looking into data to determine if a nerf is needed.
- Improvements to Party UI / UX are underway. Implementation date is still TBD, but know that we are actively working on it.
Seems like Call of Duty: WWII's beta was much-needed. Hopefully all this stuff gets sorted by launch!
The ongoing PS4 beta for Call of Duty: WWII continues until August 28. A second beta, which will include Xbox One, kicks off on September 1. Call of Duty: WWII launches on PC, Xbox One, and PS4 on November 7, and you can check out WWG's latest coverage of the game, right here.prevnext