It has officially been 10 years since Rocksteady Studios released Batman: Arkham Asylum, the first installment in the massively popular series based on the DC character. Not only did this kick off the franchise of some of the best superhero games we've seen, but it also brought the return of some popular voices for characters in other forms that the Batman series has featured in the past, including none other than Mark Hamill as the Joker. In fact, after Rocksteady posted a tweet celebrating the 10th anniversary of Arkham Asylum, Hamill himself recalled his return to the infamous character.
As some of you may know, Batman: Arkham Asylum was Hamill's first time playing the Joker since the popular animated series, which aired from 1992 until 1995. That made it 14 years between each of Hamill's performances as the Joker, and it's almost as if he didn't skip a beat. "It felt fantastic to get behind the wheel of that crazy clown car again for the 1st time since the animated series," Hamill said. "Free from the restrictions of TV censors-we were able to explore a more complex version of the character that was more vicious & sadistic than ever before!"
It felt fantastic to get behind the wheel of that crazy clown car again for the 1st time since the animated series. Free from the restrictions of TV censors-we were able to explore a more complex version of the character that was more vicious & sadistic than ever before!🃏#NoJoke https://t.co/IHxgXj9idK— Mark Hamill (@HamillHimself) August 26, 2019
Batman: Arkham Asylum was originally released in 2009 for PC, PlayStation 3, and Xbox 360 is currently available on PC, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One. For those who are unaware of the title, here is the official Steam description:
"Critically acclaimed Batman: Arkham Asylum returns with a remastered Game of the Year Edition, featuring 4 extra Challenge Maps. The additional Challenge Maps are Crime Alley; Scarecrow Nightmare; Totally Insane and Nocturnal Hunter (both from the Insane Night Map Pack)."
- Utilize the unique FreeFlow™ combat system to chain together unlimited combos seamlessly and battle with huge groups of The Joker’s henchmen in brutal melee brawls
- Investigate as Batman, the WORLD’S GREATEST DETECTIVE, by solving intricate puzzles with the help of cutting edge forensic tools including x-ray scanning, fingerprint scans, ‘Amido Black’ spray and a pheromone tracker
- Face off against Gotham’s greatest villains including The Joker, HARLEY QUINN, POISON IVY and KILLER CROC
- Become the Invisible Predator™ with Batman’s fear takedowns and unique vantage point system to move without being seen and hunt enemies
- Choose multiple takedown methods, including swooping from the sky and smashing through walls.
- Explore every inch of Arkham Asylum and roam freely on the infamous island, presented for the first time ever in its gritty and realistic entirety
- Experience what it’s like to be BATMAN using BATARANGS, explosive gel aerosol, The Batclaw, sonar resonator and the line launcher
- Unlock more secrets by completing hidden challenges in the world and develop and customize equipment by earning experience points
- Enjoy complete superhero freedom in the environment with the use of Batman’s grapnel gun to get to any place you can see, jump from any height and glide in any direction