We’ve only seen bits and pieces of Soul Calibur VI in action thus far, but what we’ve seen has us very excited. And judging by the new features that were revealed by Japanese publication Famitsu this week, there’s a lot more to come.
Key developers behind the game recently talked with the publication about some new features that will be coming to the long-anticipated sequel, including the Reversal Edge, which enables players to block all sorts of attacks while setting up a counter attack of their own.
Here’s the rundown of all the features that were revealed, as reported by SiliconEra:
- The “Reversal Edge” can be performed with a single button. While pressing the button it blocks all attacks from high, middle, low, and grabs.
- When you let go of the button the character will slash and enter a scene.
- There are some moves that you can only pull off by consuming your Soul Charge and powering up.
- The “Lethal Hit” is an advanced system where landing certain moves in the right condition will send the opponent flying.
- Since there wasn’t any 3D fighters with weapons on current generation consoles, the team felt that they needed to make a new SoulCalibur.
- The setting will take us back in time, into the year 1586. The keyword here is “reboot.”
- Please look forward to collaborations with other works!
- The team is focusing on making enjoyable sword fights with the press of a button using Reversal Edge.
- Some commands that were difficult to pull off up until now have also been made to activate with just one button.
- The Guard Impact no longer consumes your meter.
- The team is getting help from a surprising amount of outside developers.
- Character creation is something appealing that can’t be taken away, so keep an eye out for that.
- Development is currently 70% complete.
It sounds like a lot of effort went into Soul Calibur VI’s new system, and though we have yet to see it all in action, it sounds very promising, especially when it comes to that sweet Reversal Edge set-up.