Another week, another genuinely-overwhelming lineup of Nintendo game releases! The Nintendo Switch and 3DS are getting pummeled with fantastic games, and we're sorry to say that there are far too many games coming out right now than you have time to play, or money to buy!
With so much happening all at once, you will no doubt be in need of a little curation. What do you need to be paying attention to immediately, and what can you put on the back-burner for a while? That's what we're here for. Below we're going to list all of the notable games launching on the Nintendo Switch or Nintendo 3DS family eShops. Then we'll comb through all of the games and give you our specific recommendations. Some of these games you need to start playing immediately, while a few may need to wait until the holidays.
Here's the featured lineup of games launching imminently:
- Stardew Valley (Switch)
- Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions (3DS)
- Layton's Mystery Journey: Katrielle and the Millionaires' Conspiracy (3DS)
- Axiom Verge (Switch)
- OXENFREE (Switch)
- ACA NeoGeo Metal Slug X (Switch)
Believe it or not, there are several more games coming out in the days ahead, but these represent our highlights. So what should you be picking up?
- Without a doubt the star of the show here is Stardew Valley. We've been looking forward to getting our hands on this game on portable console for so long now. For those of you who don't know (where have you been?!), Stardew Valley is a casual farming / life sim in which players build up and maintain a home, a farm, raise animals, schmooze the locals, get married, and try to live the best life possible. It's incredibly charming, and is one of deadliest time-sinks we've ever encountered. Pick this up ASAP if you own a Switch.
Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions
- The beloved GBA classic has received a top-to-bottom refresher from Nintendo. Superstar Saga has made a tremendous comeback and is now funnier, prettier, and more accessible than it's ever been. If you've been craving a lighthearted RPG with unique combat mechanics, then this is one fan-favorite you owe it to yourself to check out!
- Do you love Metroid? Did you already complete Samus Returns? Craving another classically-inspired metroidvania filled with secrets and tight combat? Axiom Verge is exactly what you've been waiting for. Plumb the recesses of a large, labyrinthine world in order to learn its secrets and uncover your role within it.
- Discover tons of weapons, items, and abilities, each with their own unique behaviors and usage. You'll need your wits to find them all.
- Combat bizarre biomechanoid constructs, the deadly fallout of an ancient war, and the demons of your own psyche.
- And finally, break the game itself by using glitches to corrupt foes and solve puzzles in the environment.