Next month will see DC Comics' biggest celebration yet of the defender of the seven seas, with the release of the Aquaman 80th Anniversary 100-Page Super Spectacular. The oversized issue will celebrate the occasion of Aquaman's first appearance in November's More Fun Comics #73 (just as Green Arrow did earlier this summer), and it's already seemed like the anthology will cover all corners of the character's lore. Luckily, ComicBook.com can provide a small tease of what to expect in the 80th anniversary special, as DC Comics has provided us with a complete story from the collection. Additionally, ComicBook.com has a look at all eight decade-themed variant covers from the special, including a previously-unreleased 2000s variant by Becky Cloonan.
The story, which is titled "The Rhine Maidens", returns to the world of the World War II-inspired DC Bombshells universe, and sees both Aquaman and Mera going up against an underwater threat. The story hails from writer Marguerite Bennett, artist Trung Le Nguyen, colorist Jordie Bellaire, and letterer Pat Brousseau.
The full list of stories in the Aquaman 80th Anniversary 100-Page Super Spectacular are as follows:
- "Foxtail" - Writer Jeff Parker, Artist Evan "Doc" Shaner
- "The Rhine Maidens" - Writer Marguerite Bennett, Artist Trung Le Nguyen
- "Father's Day" - Geoff Johns, Penciller - Paul Pelletier
- "Between the Shores" - Writer Cavan Scott, Penciller Scot Eaton
- "Lady in the Lake" - Writer Michael Moreci, Artist Pop Mhan
- "What Remains of a Storm" - Writer Dan Watters, Penciller Miguel Medonca
- "Multitudes" - Writer Stephanie Phillips, Artist Kendry Prasetya
- "Rebellion" - Writer Dan Jurgens, Artist Steve Epting
- "It's a Family Affair" - Writer Shawn Aldridge, Artist Tom Derenick
- "Red Sea" - Writer Chuck Brown, Artist Valentine Delandro
- "Foreshadow" - Writer Brandon Thomas, Penciller Diego Olortegui
This all-star-filled anthology spans across the ocean king's legacy, not just celebrating his own triumphs but also those of his greatest allies and enemies. The issue is set to be released on Tuesday, August 31st, with the main cover version of this 100-page blockbuster priced at $9.99, with each card stock variant priced at $10.99.
Keep scrolling to check out "The Rhine Maidens", as well as all eight covers for the Aquaman 80th Anniversary 100-Page Super Spectacular, and be sure to share your thoughts with us in the comments below!