For those of you that were looking for more Splatoon related news following yesterday’s Splatoon 2 World Championship, we’ve got it for you. It’s time to go Octo!
During yesterday’s event, Nintendo confirmed that the new Octo expansion is now available for the hit paint shooting game. You can pick it up now for $19.99 and extend your single player adventure with dozens of new levels!
On top of that however, fans can also look forward to a number of new updates to the multiplayer side of things through the end of the year. The producers explained that the game will add even more stages, along with new weapons and balancing updates. We probably won’t see another big update like we saw with Octo, but we will see other goodies coming down the line. That means the game will have received a year and a half of support following its release. Not bad.
Good news Inklings and Octolings! Previously we mentioned that #Splatoon2 game updates would end this July, but we are happy to announce that free updates to gear, weapons, and stages will continue through the end of 2018! pic.twitter.com/AOK73LLhiW— Nintendo Versus (@NintendoVS) June 12, 2018
You can watch the launch trailer for the Octo expansion before and get a good idea of what it has to offer. It looks like fun, so we can’t wait to jump in.
Here’s the features list for Splatoon 2 just in case you missed it:
New weapons - New dual-wielding Splat Dualies join the action, complete with a new Dodge Roll move. Mainstays like the Splat Roller and Splat Charger have also been remixed to include new gameplay mechanics and brand-new special weapons.
- Local and Online Multiplayer - In a first for the series, compete in local multiplayer Turf War battles, whether in TV mode or on-the-go in handheld or tabletop modes. Online battles also make a return.
- New ways to play - Play using the Joy-Con controllers or the Nintendo Switch Pro Controller, both of which allow for gyro controls for better aiming and control.
- New Trends - Two years have passed since the release of Splatoon in real life, and two years have also passed in the game world. Some familiar characters return under different circumstances, and new characters are introduced as well.
- Fresh Updates - Similar to Splatoon for Wii U, updates will roll out post-launch, adding new content.
- Smart Device Support - An upcoming smartphone application for the Nintendo Switch system will enhance matchmaking and allow for voice chat options.
- Turf War - Iconic 4 vs. 4 Turf War battles return. The goal is to splat ink on as much territory as possible, while strategically submerging yourself in your team's colors and blasting your enemies.
Splatoon 2 is available now for Nintendo Switch.