In celebration of the 35th anniversary of Steven Spielberg's E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial, Universal Pictures Home Entertainment is giving you yet another opportunity to buy this classic film! How nice of them. Granted, this version may actually be worth the upgrade since it will be available in the 4K Ultra HD format that's becoming so popular these days. Naturally, there will be quite a bit of bonus features and extras to sweeten the deal.
From the press release:
In 1982, acclaimed director Steven Spielberg created iconic movie magic with his classic film, E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial, the unforgettable and emotional adventure of an adorable alien lost on Earth and the lonely boy who befriends him. Winner of four Academy Awards®, including Best Music, E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial has become a cinematic touchstone for generations of moviegoers and one of the most beloved films of all time. Now, Universal Pictures Home Entertainment celebrates the film's original theatrical release with a special gift set, E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial 35th Anniversary Limited Edition on 4K Ultra HD + Blu-ray™ + Digital available on September 12, 2017. This special gift set features premium packaging, includes a re-mastered CD soundtrack of the original Grammy Award®-winning album, is packed with over three hours of bonus features and includes a collector's booklet with behind-the-scenes stories and rare images from the archives. E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial 35th Anniversary Limited Edition retains all the excitement, drama and warm-hearted humor that made it an instant worldwide classic.
Fans can also relive the adventure and magic of one of the most beloved motion pictures of all-time, with the 4K Ultra HD Combo Pack along with the new Blu-ray™ Combo Pack and DVD editions that showcase new artwork of the beloved cast on September 12, 2017. All releases include a code to redeem the film on Digital plus over three hours of bonus features such as deleted scenes and revealing interviews that bring back the film's humor, suspense and wonder, making this a must-own movie for everyone's library.
The 4K Ultra HD 35th Anniversary edition of E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial is available to pre-order now. Fans might also be interested to know that the film will return to movie theaters nationwide for a two day event on Sunday, September 17, and Wednesday, September 20. You can get tickets at participating theaters from FathomEvents.com.
The full list of bonus features includes:
• The E.T. Journals - Retrace the day-to-day experience of creating E.T from behind-the-scenes footage shot by Academy Award®-winning cinematographer John Toll.
• Steven Spielberg & E.T. - Watch an interview with Steven Spielberg, as he reflects back on the film and discusses his experience working with the actors, as well as his overall and current perspective on E.T.
• The Music of E.T.: A Discussion with John Williams - Interviews and footage focused on the long-standing relationship between John Williams and Steven Spielberg.
• Designs, Photographs and Marketing of E.T
• E.T. Designs by Production Illustrator Ed Verreaux
• E.T. Designs by Carlo Rambaldi
• Spaceship Designs by Ralph McQuarrie
• Designs by Production Illustrator Ed Verreaux
• Production Photographs
• Marketing E.T. A Look Back - A special insider's look into the making of E.T. featuring interviews with Steven Spielberg, the cast, and others intimately involved with the film.
• The E.T. Reunion - The cast and filmmaker reunite to discuss their thoughts on the impact of the film.
• The 20th Anniversary Premiere - Composer John Williams played the score of E.T. live at the Shrine Auditorium for the re-release premiere of E.T. This featurette gives us a behind the scenes look at this presentation.
• Deleted Scenes
• Theatrical Trailer