There's a new Star Wars official timeline, which arrives with the release of the new Star Wars: The High Republic line this week. The new Star Wars timeline seen below can be found in the opening pages of Marvel's Star Wars: The High Republic #1, which just hit shelves. With The High, Republic set 200 years before the Skywalker Saga and The Phantom Menace, establishing a new timeline is very necessary. However, it's also interesting to see how the completed Skywalker Saga is being sectioned and categorized, as the Star Wars franchise continues to expand into more stories from those times (see: The Mandalorian). It's clear that Lucasfilm is carving out some clear lanes for the growing Star Wars Universe and its characters!
Here is the official new Star Wars timeline, updated with The High Republic era:
- The High Republic - The new official starting point of the Star Wars canon, set 200 years before the Prequel Trilogy. It will be explored in the new "High Republic" line of Star Wars books and comics coming in 2021. A tie-in series on Disney+ (The Acolyte) has also been announced.
- Fall of The Jedi - Covering the Jedi Order's fall and Sith return, in The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, The Clone Wars, and Revenge of the Sith.
- Reign of The Empire - Exploring the initial rise of The Empire and the chaos of its shadow covering galaxy. Covering events depicted in the upcoming Star Wars: The Bad Batch animated series, and Solo: A Star Wars Story.
- Age of Rebellion - The slow-but-sure rise of The Rebellion in the decades after the Empire's reign began. Covering events in Star Wars Rebels, Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi.
- The New Republic - The chaos after Palpatine's seeming demise, as the Empire struggled to survive, and the New Republic started to take form. The Mandalorian is set in this time period. The upcoming Rangers of the New Republic and Book of Boba Fett series are presumably also going to be set in this era.
- Rise of the First Order - The Imperial remnants re-organize into The First Order, and attempt to reclaim the galaxy as part of Palpatine's Sith resurrection scheme. Covers events in Star Wars: Resistance, The Force Awakens, The Last Jedi, and The Rise of Skywalker.
As stated, this is a natural re-framing of the Star Wars franchise according to the expanded view offered by The High Republic line, as well as the deeper-dives into various eras of the canon, that have occurred over the years. The era that used to be the "Original Trilogy era" is a perfect example: thanks to projects like Solo, Rebels, and Rogue One that 30-year span between the PT and OT has even more distinct divisions.
This timeline is good for now, but as The High Republic era is fleshed-out and explored, there will no doubt be even more subdivisions to add to the timeline.
Star Wars: The High Republic comic is now on sale. High Republic novels Light of the Jedi and A Test of Courage are also now on sale. Star Wars: The High Republic - Into the Darkness will follow in February. Orders for the books are live on Amazon now.
Note: If you purchase one of the awesome, independently chosen products featured here, we may earn a small commission from the retailer. Thank you for your support.