Jerry "The King" Lawler was a recent guest on Busted Open Radio and had some not-so-flattering comments regarding the current WWE product. The WWE Hall of Famer has been working with WWE on a part-time basis for a few years now, mostly working as a panelist on the kickoff shows for pay-per-views. He said (h/t Wrestling Inc.), "Sometimes it's sort of hard for me to watch. I just got my schedule to be at Survivor Series, and so it's almost like cramming for an exam back when you were at school. I really have to go back and watch some shows, and make some notes, and find out what is actually going on."
Lawler then talked about what it'd be like to be a commentator nowadays — "I don't see how the guys in the business — it's so tough to be doing that on a daily basis. Doing the commentary for Raw and SmackDown now, to me, it's almost brutal to have to know and remember. The talent changes so fast and everything is so short now.
"It's not the fault of wrestling, people love to talk about how wrestling has changed. Wrestling has not changed. It's the fans, it's the society that's changed. We've got a short attention span now," he continued. "You have to, in the wrestling business, you have to realize there's so much more stuff that fans can watch. So, you have to keep this here show so exciting every minute that people are watching or they're going to switch over and start watching TikTok. It's changed in that respect, and sometimes for me, it's hard to follow."
Do you agree with Lawler? Let us know in the comments! WWE closed out its 2021 pay-per-view schedule with Survivor Series this past weekend and you can see the results below:
- (Kickoff) Intercontinental Champion Shinsuke Nakamura def. United States Champion Damian Preist (DQ)
- Raw Women's Champion Becky Lynch def. SmackDown Women's Champion Charlotte Flair
- Team Raw (Seth Rollins, Finn Balor, Kevin Owens, Bobby Lashley, Austin Theory) def. Team SmackDown (Drew McIntyre, Jeff Hardy, King Woods, Happy Corbin, Sheamus) vs. (Survivor Series Elimination Tag Team Match)
- Omos wins 25-man battle royal
- Raw Tag Team Champions RK-Bro def. SmackDown Tag Team Champions The Usos
- Team Raw (Bianca Belair, Rhea Ripley, Liv Morgan, Carmella, Queen Zelina) def. Team SmackDown (Sasha Banks, Shayna Baszler, Shotzi, Natalya, Toni Storm) (Survivor Series Elimination Tag Team Match)
- Universal Champion Roman Reigns def. WWE Champion Big E