If you haven’t played Halo Wars 2 for a while, you may want to pick it back up, because Microsoft has just doled out a new batch of goodies. First up, we have Sergeant Johnson, who returns from the first Halo Wars along with the usual bevy of new units and abilities. Here’s how Sgt. Johnson is described:
“From the halls of Installation 04 to the shores of Harvest, Sergeant Johnson represented the UNSC with distinction and honor his entire life, and is remembered as a hero in death. However, in a twist of fate (and poor records-keeping), the UNSC Marine Corps accidently assigned the life-challenged veteran to a position on board the long-lost Spirit of Fire. Even with the small handicap of being dead, Johnson isn’t one to disobey a direct order from his beloved Corps and he's sprung back to "life" ready to kick all butts that need kicking. The subsequent story of how he arrived at his new duty station is still classified, but trust us, it’s a good one.
Sergeant Johnson favors a strong defense backed by heavy bipedal killing machines: Siege Turret Drop and Bunker Drop extend his fortifications, while EMP MAC Blast and Mech Overcharge give his combat walkers an upper hand in critical battles. But that’s not all, the Corps has seen fit to issue Sergeant Johnson the Digging In Deep advanced power, letting him construct all structures on existing bases (excluding turrets) for free.”
Alongside the new DLC, Halo Wars 2 players are also getting a meaty patch, which adds some new features, like HDR lighting support. You can check out the full patch notes, below:
- Support for HDR lighting is now enabled for console players with compatible hardware
- Added allied view indicator to the mini-map
- Added 2 new themes to "Proving Ground" Blitz map
- Blitz playlists will now also appear in the main multiplayer "Find Match" screen
- Made "Restoration Drones" get more expensive when it is upgraded to its 3rd tier
- Adjusted the Foundry so that its always hit by Hunters' and Marines' upgraded projectiles when attacked
- Added better "Combat Salvage" visual effects when a unit dies and is immediately built back at base
- Removed an exploit with "Combat Salvage"
- Reworked a targeting exploit that could occur with using "Extraction"
- Pelicans and Darts should no longer leave floating lights above bases
- Made it so that "Ghost in the Machine" would no longer disable Colony's "Combat Repair" on the units it borrowed
- Spartans no longer strip upgrades from vehicles they hijack
- Some tech upgrades were not applying completely to some units
- Fixed an issue with moving units not properly attacking Garrisoned units
- Units teleported off the map are now teleported back to your base
- Spartans no longer increase the level of units they hijack
- Added "Upgrade Complete" voice over for various leaders that was missing
- Adjusted the audio to the Forerunner structure on Highway to remove the high frequency that could be unpleasant to hear
- Audio/music should no longer drop from games played through a playlist
- Locust beam is no longer audible in the fog of war
- Hellbringers should no longer play Kinsano voiceover when being attacked by an enemy Spartan
Halo Wars 2’s latest DLC and patch is available, right now.