Nickelodeon's legendary Avatar: The Last Airbender animated series is available to stream on Netflix, but superfans might be interested in a special 15th anniversary SteelBook Blu-ray release that includes a lot of material that you won't be able to stream (it will also be there for you when, inevitably, the series leaves Netflix). What's more, the box set is massively discounted and currently sitting at an all-time low price.Buy Avatar: The Last Airbender The Complete Series SteelBook Blu-ray on Amazon ($61.40)
The Avatar: The Last Airbender The Complete Series, 15th Anniversary Limited Edition SteelBook Collection includes three SteelBook Blu-ray designs by artist Caleb Thomas highlighting Aang's Water, Earth, and Fire skills (Katara and Toph are also represented on the back of the cases). This gorgeous Steelbook triptych comes in a slipcase and includes a ton of special features (a complete breakdown is available below). At the time of writing, it's on sale here at Amazon for only $61.40, which is 37% off the list price and an all-time low.
If the SteelBook artwork isn't a must-have for you, keep in mind that you can order the Avatar: The Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra Complete Series Collection Blu-ray here on Amazon for $56.96. The series are also available individually on Amazon for $26.99 and $27.74 at Amazon respectively.
The complete list of special features on the Avatar: The Last Airbender SteelBook edition are as follows:
- Book One: Water: Season 1 – 20 episodes – Aired 2/21/05 – 12/2/05
- Book Two: Earth: Season 2 – 18 episodes – Aired 3/17/06 – 12/1/06
- Book Three: Fire: Season 3 – 16 episodes – Aired 9/21/07 – 7/19/08
Book One: Water:
- Behind the Scenes Kung Fu Featurette
- The Making of Avatar – From Real Life to Animation
- Behind the Scenes: The Voices of Avatar
- Ask the Creators Featurette
- Original Uncut Animatic – Episode # 15: Bato of the Water Tribe
- 4 Audio Commentaries with Creator, Cast & Crew -Features Dee Bradley Baker (voices of Momo and Appa), Ben Wynn (sound effects), Aaron Ehasz (Head Writer) and Co-Creators: Bryan Konietzko and Michael Dante DiMartino
- Behind the Scenes with the Avatar Cast & Crew
- Avatar Pilot Episode with Audio Commentary
- The Making of Avatar – Inside the Sound Studios
- The Making of Avatar – Inside the Korean Animation Studios
Book Two: Earth:
- Original Uncut Animatic – Episode # 21: The Avatar State
- 7 Audio Commentaries by Creators, Cast & Crew
- Interview with Creators and M. Night Shyamalan
- The Essence of Bending with Bryan Konietzko and Sifu Kisu
- Avatar Super Deformed Shorts – Bending Battle, Swamp Skiin' Throwdown, School Time Shipping
- Escape From the Spirit World: Animated Graphic Novel
Book Three: Fire:
- 11 Audio Commentaries by Creators, Cast & Crew
- The Women of Avatar: The Last Airbender
- Book 3 Finale Pencil Test Animation
- Into the Fire Nation at San Diego Comic-Con
For those who are unfamiliar, Avatar: The Last Airbender was originally created by Michael DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko for Nickelodeon in 2005. The series is set in world people can manipulate the elements of Earth, Water, Fire, and Air, and they lived peacefully in different regions until one of the regions started a world war.
One master who can manipulate all four elements, dubbed the "Avatar," had been able to prevent this war, but disappeared soon after. 100 years later, a new Avatar named Aang awakens and sets out on a journey to master all the elements in order to bring peace to the land once more. The Legend of Korra takes place takes place 70 years after the events of its predecessor, following the next Avatar, a young girl named Korra from the Southern Water Tribe.