Among the many gifts that the new Star Wars: The Force Awakens trailer bestowed upon us, there was a new droid to ogle all over. It was certainly a departure from most typical designs, with a giant sphere supporting a half-domed head like R2-D2's.
But beyond the few snippets we saw in the trailer, we really don’t know what this new droid is capable of. Or—do we? Star Wars fansite Making Star Wars was able to break down the droid's concept art, and recreate the specs through the magic of Paintshop. With the droid broken out into its separate parts, here’s what we were able to learn about J.J.’s robotic addition in to the Star Wars mythos. Of course, it's best to still treat the below as rumors until verified specs are released.
* As noted, the droid has a domed head, much like R2-D2’s.
* The domed head is on a gyroscope, so regardless of the terrain that the sphere covers, the head will always remain level.
* The sphere can split itself into separate parts, like orange wedges. Each wedge has a storage compartment that could hold all manner of toys, like lightsabers or ray guns.
* One wedge has a retractable laser cutter, which could also double as a taser.
* Inside the droid’s spherical body, there is a pole with a weight on the bottom.
* Another wedge has a retractable claw and hand, giving the droid the ability to operate and interact with other physical objects.
* The droid is between 12 and 16 inches tall, or as Making Star Wars put it, about the height of a boot. The sphere is no larger than a basketball, and the domed head is around the size of a cantaloupe.
Are you satisfied with the new droid so far? Do you like the basketball base?
Star Wars: The Force Awakens hits theaters on December 18th, 2015.