The number one most anticipated movie of 2016 isn't X-Men: Apocalypse. It's not Captain America: Civil War or Batman v. Superman. Nor is it Doctor Strange, Deadpool, Gambit, or Suicide Squad. In fact, none of the super hero flicks claimed the number two spot, either.
A recent poll from Fandango has the most anticipated movie of 2016 being Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. The Star Wars spinoff will stand on its own in the galaxy far, far away, introducing all new characters, one of which is rumored to appear in 2017's Episode VIII. It isn't hard to imagine this being the most anticipating film of next year, with The Force Awakens still dominating at the box office in its third weekend and breaking every record in sight.
The number two film on Fandango's most anticipated list is the long-awaited Finding Nemo sequel, Finding Dory.
In the third spot is where you'll find the first true comic book movie of the year, Batman V. Superman, followed by the still untitled Jason Bourne sequel.
Captain America: Civil War claims fifth place and the only other comic book movie on the list, X-Men: Apocalypse, sits in eighth place.
Here's the complete list:
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (December 16)
- Finding Dory (June 17)
- Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (March 25)
- Untitled Jason Bourne movie (July 29)
- Captain America: Civil War (May 6)
- Star Trek Beyond (July 22)
- Independence Day: Resurgence (June 24)
- X-Men: Apocalypse (May 27)
- Zoolander No. 2 (Feb. 12)
- The Jungle Book (April 15)
Fandango also polled its users to decide which comic book character debuting in a major role was the most anticipated of the year. Here are the results:
- Wonder Woman (Gal Gadot in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice)
- Deadpool (Ryan Reynolds in Deadpool)
- Harley Quinn (Margot Robbie in Suicide Squad)
- Aquaman (Jason Momoa in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice)
- Doctor Strange (Benedict Cumberbatch in Doctor Strange)
- Black Panther (Chadwick Boseman in Captain America: Civil War)
Most anticipated actress
- Melissa McCarthy (Ghostbusters)
- Scarlett Johansson (Captain America: Civil War)
- Jennifer Lawrence (X-Men: Apocalypse)
- Emily Blunt (The Girl On the Train)
- Charlize Theron (The Huntsman: Winter’s War)
Most anticipated actor
- Matt Damon (Jason Bourne movie)
- Will Smith (Suicide Squad)
- Ryan Reynolds (Deadpool)
- Ben Affleck (Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice)
- George Clooney (Hail, Caesar!)
Rising female movie star
- Sophie Turner (X-Men: Apocalypse)
- Leslie Jones (Ghostbusters)
- Karen Fukuhara (Suicide Squad)
- Christina Wren (Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice)
- Nadia Hilker (The Divergent Series: Allegiant)
Rising male movie star
- Tom Holland (Captain America: Civil War)
- Riz Ahmed (Rogue One: A Star Wars Story)
- Tye Sheridan (X-Men: Apocalypse)
- Stephan James (Race)
- Ed Speleers (Alice Through the Looking Glass)
Which movie from 2016 are you most excited for?