Fandango, the Internet's most popular movie ticket preseller, reports that this weekend's Transformers: Age of Extinction is currently accounting for 96% of their weekend presales.
Michael Bay’s latest sci-fi action adventure (perhaps his last in the series?) is outselling all previous Transformers movies at the same point in the Fandango sales cycle, and is pacing similarly to Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Godzilla and X-Men: Days of Future Past.
Early tracking has indicated that the latest adventure to feature the Robots in Disguise might make over $100 million this weekend.
Currently, the film represents 96% of Fandango’s weekend ticket sales and is poised to outperform all of this year's other releases in presales.
According to a survey of more than 1,000 Transformers ticket-buyers on Fandango:
- 92% have seen previous Transformers movies on the big screen;
- 83% are fans of director Michael Bay;
- 76% say the addition of Mark Wahlberg increased their interest in the movie;
- 75% claim the Dinobots made them more excited to see it;
- 66% picked Grimlock as the Dinobot they most wanted to see;
- 54% picked Optimus Prime as their favorite Autobot, while 41% picked Bumblebee.
On Fandango’s weekly movie recommendation show, “Weekend Ticket,” guest host Tiffany Smith catches up with Transformers: Age of Extinction star Mark Wahlberg.
“It came with a great script, but Michael Bay encouraged me to come up with stuff during the rehearsal process,” Wahlberg told Smith. “He said, what would you say here, what would you say there, and the digs and insults flowed pretty naturally from me!”
The full episode can be found at http://www.fandango.com/WeekendTicket.