A new FIFA 21 update has been released by EA alongside official patch notes. Right now, the update is only available on PC, and there's no word of when it will be available on PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S, PC, or Nintendo Switch. So far, EA has released updates on PC first, and usually, the update comes to consoles a few days later. That said, right now, the update is available on PC and the patch notes reveal that it's quite the meaty update.
In comparison to previous updates, update #9 makes far fewer meta-impacting changes, but it has once again made a tweak to skill moves, which continue to be abused in competitive play. In addition to this, volleyed chip shots have been nerfed, while refs should stop blowing the whistle during goalscoring opportunities.
The update also fixes one of the game's most infamous and hilarious bugs. More specifically, the update fixes the issue of mangers in Career Mode wearing buggy versions of the team kit on the sideline and during other scenes. Of course, this fix should especially please Mark Goldbridge (if you know, you know).
Below, you can check out the update's full patch notes, courtesy of EA:
Made the following changes:
- Reduced consistency of the ball trajectory after successfully performing a Skill Move which involves launching the ball into the air.
- Reduced Flick Up ball trajectory consistency in cases where the Flick Up is performed directly following a Skill Move.
- Reduced consistency of Flick Ups performed while running with the ball.
- This effect is most impactful when the ball carrier is running at a high speed.
- Reduced the effectiveness of Volleyed Chip Shots when taken from 35 feet/10.67 meters and beyond.
- This effect scales up to 55 feet/16.76 meters, meaning that Volleyed Chip Shots reduce in effectiveness the farther they're taken from, up until 55 feet/16.76 meters.
- Volleyed Chip Shots taken at 55 feet/16.76 meters and beyond can be half as effective as those taken at 35 feet/10.67 meters.
- Considerably reduced the probability of the referee calling for the end of the match during a potential goalscoring opportunity.
- As a result, Injury Time could now last for a slightly longer period.
Addressed the following issues:
- When defending against the Bridge Skill Move while Jockeying, the defending player could temporarily slow down unintentionally.
- When a defending player performed a tackle that was unsuccessful at winning the ball, the tackler's foot could partially pass through a portion of the ball.
- This change does not impact the success or failure of tackles, and the tackling player is now more likely to make some contact with the ball in these situations.
- Following a specific type of goalkeeper pass during an offline match, the defending team's CPU AI would not attempt to pressure the attacking side in order to recover the ball.
FIFA Ultimate Team
- On the Kit Select screen in Division Rivals, the timer could freeze for the player who confirmed their selection if their opponent was still selecting a kit.
- When accessing the Transfer Market tab on the Squad screen and viewing the Search Results as a list, Bid Status Icons did not display.
- Some text incorrectly overlapped other UI elements when the My Playlist tile was selected on the FUT Friendlies screen.
- During Friendlies matches, the in-game Game Settings screen would incorrectly list the ball being currently used.
- Stadium Themes based on real world teams did not always apply correctly to in-game ad boards.
- The FIFA Playtime FIFA Points limit exceeded message would not display until the limit was exceeded a second time.
- The Live FUT Friendlies UI did not always display the correct visuals when the tile was selected.
- Managers were incorrectly wearing team kits during matches and other scenes.
- When changing the sorting in the Transfer Hub and Squad Hub, the UI did not automatically scroll back to the top.
- In Player Career, the Virtual Pro was sometimes not receiving loan and transfer offers.
- When entering the Transfer Hub through a News story and attempting to sign a player, a stability issue could occur.
- Drop In Match Lobbies could become temporarily stuck during a specific UI flow, and as a result, would not be filled with the maximum number of players.
- Further addressed instances of being unable to successfully matchmake in VOLTA SQUADS.
- When the Captain changes Game Plans during a Pro Clubs match, some AI teammates could have switched positions incorrectly.
General, Audio, and Video
- Updated some kits, Tifos, badges, 2D images, celebrations, and boots.
- Added new commentary lines related to David Beckham.
- Updated 1 existing Starhead and added 4 legacy Starheads.
- Stay tuned to the EA SPORTS FIFA Tracker to learn when these Starheads will become active.
- An incorrect line of commentary could occur when referencing a specific instance of an offside.
- The Adidas Silver and Black Circuit Board balls did not display in-game shadows.
- Some balls displayed placeholder text in the Match tab of the Game Settings screen.
FIFA 21 is available via the PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S, PC, and Nintendo Switch.