The past month has seen Deadpool 2 strapped into one intense rollercoaster. The sequel has been on a wild ride ever seen 20th Century Fox confirmed the movie had been approved. However, the last two weeks have put the film through its paces and flipped it upside down. Deadpool 2 has lost two key crew members recently, so fans were surprised to hear reports that the film was still slated to begin production early next year.
Now, we’ve learned that chatter is reportedly false.
According to Collider, recent reports about Deadpool 2 filming in January 2017 are not true. Sources have told the site the January date is way off as Deadpool 2 was originally meant to begin production in March 2017 when director Tim Miller was involved. However, Miller has exited the project, so there is no way even the March 2017 date will stand any longer.
When Miller left Deadpool 2, the folks behind the film had only started casting for Ryan Reynold’s co-stars. Several actresses were being eyed to play Domino, so that process will also be delayed. The film’s new director will surely want to have say in which star takes on the the former mercenary turned X-Men member.
Of course, 20th Century Fox has a shortlist of directors that they are working from. Notably, the studio is looking at David Leitch (John Wick) to direct the raunchy sequel. Other names like Drew Goddard and Magnus Martens are also on the studio’s list.
The latter are already familiar with superhero affairs, so they would be solid candidates to work on Deadpool 2. Goddard’s most recent work is with The Martian, but he has executive produced episodes for Daredevil and will do so again on The Defenders. As for Martens, his resume includes directorial credits for Agents of SHIELD and Luke Cage.
There is a chance that 20th Century Fox might shy away from creators who have worked on more traditional superhero projects. After all, it seems as if Miller left Deadpool 2 because he wanted the sequel to align with blockbusters such as The Avengers or Suicide Squad.
According to The Wrap, their sources claim Miller wanted to make a more traditional superhero blockbuster with a larger budget and visual effects. However, Reynolds wanted to keep the sequel in-line with the original film, meaning that it would retain its low budget and crude humor.
Apparently, the two couldn’t reconcile their differences, and the studio opted to side with Reynolds given his star power. Shortly after Miller announced his exist, Junkie XL submitted his leave notice. In a Twitter post, Junkie XL said that his departure was in part due to Miller’s abrupt exit, and he has been the last crew member to leave the project so far.
NEXT: Did Tim Miller Leave Over Cable Clashes? / Deadpool 2 Working Title Revealed / Who's On The Director Shortlist For Deadpool Sequel? / Why Junkie XL's Exit From Deadpool 2 Has Us Worried? / Director Tim Miller Leaves Deapool 2
So far, there’s no word on when production on Deadpool 2 will begin. But, as we’ve learned, we likely won’t hear anything until the sequel secures its new director.
Deadpool 2 is tentatively scheduled for March 2, 2018.