The Suicide Squad cast graces a new magazine cover in full costume - our most colorful and detailed look yet at director James Gunn's vision of the Suicide Squad franchise for the new DC Movie Universe. Gunn shared the official cover photo along with the "Subscribers Only" version, which features him and the stacked cast in a much more fun, behind-the-scenes vibe. The Empire Magazine issue shows what The Suicide Squad star Margot Robbie, Idris Elba, John Cena, Pete Davidson, and the rest of the ensemble look like playing some C and D-level DC Comics villains (aside from Robbie's Harley Quinn, of course).
Going from left to right clockwise, here's who we have in the photo:
- Joel Kinnaman as Rick Flag
- Peter Capaldi as Clifford DeVoe / The Thinker
- Flula Borg as Javelin
- Sean Gunn as John Monroe/Weasel
- Pete Davidson as Richard Hertz/Blackguard
- Steve Agee as King Shark
- Jai Courtney as Digger Harkness/Captain Boomerang
- Mayling Ng as Mongal
- Nathan Fillion as Floyd Belkin/T.D.K.
- Idris Elba as Robert DuBois/Bloodsport
- John Cena as Christopher Smith/Peacemaker
- David Dastmalchain as Abner Krill/Polka-Dot Man
- Micahel Rooker as Brian Durlin/Savant
- Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn
- Daniela Melchior as Ratcatcher 2
We got to see this new Suicide Squad team in action (at least on set filming it) during The Suicide Squad production teaser during the DC Fandome event. We've since gotten much more background on The Suicide Squad characters - which you definitely should read up on (via the link). As stated, these aren't the most popular or famous DC Comics characters that we're dealing with.
...But then again, that's half of the twisted fun that Gunn's take on Task Force X promises. Seeing some famous actors in obscure character roles likely means this version of the Squad is going to take some shockingly gruesome losses in battle.1comments
As a bonus (which you can see above), James Gunn also shared a second Empire cover, featuring a shot of The Suicide Squad cast, with him included.
If nothing else, this movie feels like it was all kinds of fun to make. hopefully, it translates that way to screen.
The Suicide Squad is slated to hit theaters on August 6, 2021.