Netflix scored a big win with its 80s sci-fi/mystery series Stranger Things, and anticipation for Stranger Things season 2 is so high that the show rightly felt the need to give fans a first look at season 2 via a blockbuster movie-style Super Bowl trailer.
That Stranger Things season 2 trailer raised a lot of questions (like Will's strange new abilities, or the whereabouts of Eleven), and thankfully we now have some additional plot details to share, courtesy of EW. Get a breakdown of Stranger Things' new season 2 plot details, below.
What's Happening in Stranger Things Season 2?
- Season 2 begins nearly a year after season 1, around the time of Halloween in Hawkins.
- Will is infected with something from his time in the Upside Down, and is seeing strange visions that may or may not be real. "...It seems like he's having some sort of post-traumatic stress disorder," says actor Matt Duffer.
- Will's mom Joyce (Winona Ryder) is still trying to hold her family together, and has started dating an old high school friend (Sean Astin, playing "Bob") in attempt to provide the boys with a father figure.
- Harper is trying to keep the strange events of season 1 under wraps. According to actor David Harbour, "He's struggling with the compromise that takes him to, having to lie and cover things up."
- Mike (Finn Wolfhard) and his sister Nancy (Natalia Dyer) are feeling depressed, having lost people the cared about in season 1 (Eleven and Barb, respectively).
- A new brother-sister duo comes to town (Billy and Max). Max hangs with the boys, making geeks Lucas and Dustin crush on her; Billy is described as a Stephen King human villain type, bringing real world evil to this supernatural tale.
- Actor Paul Reiser plays Dr. Owens, who has taken over the lab, to monitor the rift between our world and the Upside Down. Ownes is described as "friendly," which could be an insidious cover for an evil mad scientist (see: Reiser in Aliens).
- Dustin will get a pet creature from the other dimension!
The Duffer Bros. have described season 2 as having "different kinds of horror," which suggests it won't just be supernatural horror and monsters. With the sort of new characters and story arcs being introduced, that could make for a very interesting bing watch.
More Stranger Things: Is This Classic Dungeons & Dragons Aventure The Inspiration For Season 2? / Barb Will Have A Heavy Impact On Season 2 / Eggo Responds To Super Bowl Teaser / Cast Reacts to Super Bowl Trailer / First Season 2 Image Surfaces
Have you seen LEGO Batman yet? Thanks to IMAX & Regal, you have the chance to win an amazing prize pack full of LEGO sets, movie tickets and more! Click here or the image above to enter. A winner will be chosen February 14th, 2017!
Stranger Things was created by the Duffer Brothers. Stranger Things is written and directed by Matt and Ross Duffer and executive-produced by Shawn Levy. Stranger Things stars Winona Ryder, David Harbour, Finn Wolfhard, Millie Bobby Brown, Gaten Matarazzo, Caleb McLaughlin, Natalia Dyer, Charlie Heaton, Cara Buono and Matthew Modine, with Noah Schnapp and Joe Keery.
Strange Things Season 2 adds Sadie Sink, Dacre Montgomery, Sean Astin, Paul Reisser, Linnea Berthelsen, and Brett Gelman to the cast.
Stranger Things Season 2 consists of nine episode that will premiere on Netflix on Halloween, Oct. 31, 2017.