Marvel's Runaways will bring the Marvel Cinematic Universe to Hulu, and it's going to be worth checking out according to the first reaction to the show.
As you can see below, entertainment reporter Kelly Knox had a chance to screen the first two episodes of Runaways, and had the following to say about it:
There's been a fair amount of skepticism and concern about Runaways, mostly due to the fact that it's been described as "The O.C. of the MCU" and will be premiering on Hulu, which doesn't yet have the same level of fame for its original programming as Netflix does.
However, partnering with Marvel is no doubt an attempt on Hulu's part to up its own brand exposure, and the brand power of the MCU is such that it could conceivably bring in new waves of Hulu subscribers - that is, if Runaways is as good as this first reaction makes it out to be.
The Runaways were created by Brian K. Vaughan and Adrian Alphona. The team was originally part of Marvel's Tsunami imprint, which focused on series that were inspired by manga and shared that aesthetic, but it survived well after the imprint went defunct.
The original Runaways rosters consisted of Alex Wilder, a normal human with a brilliant tactical mind; Nico Minoru, the daughter of dark wizards who takes possession of a powerful mystical artifact called the Staff of One; Gertrude Stein, daughter of time travelers who forms a psychic bond with a dinosaur named Old Lace; Chase Stein, son of evil scientists; Karolina Dean, daughter of aliens who discovers she inherited their light-based powers; and Molly Hayes, a precocious mutant with super strength.
The first Runaways series kicked off when the children discovered that their parents were part of a secret cabal of supervillains called The Pride. After making this discovery, the children decide to run away from home.
While on the run, the team of teenagers sets up in a hideout called the Hostel and one-by-one obtain the powers they were to inherit from their parents, including a vehicle called the Leapfrog. They also get a book called The Abstract that reveals the history of the Pride, and learn that the villains are actually serving an ancient race called the Gibborim that will destroy the Earth.
The Runaways decide to stop the Pride and the Gibborim, but are betrayed by Alex, who reveals he was working secretly towards the Pride's ends all along. The team recovers and manages to stop the coming of the Gibborim, but Alex and the Pride die in the process.
Captain America finds the Runaways and attempts to turn them over social services for placement in new homes. It doesn't stick, and the first Runaways series ends with them running away from home once again.
Runaways follows a group of six teenagers in the Marvel universe - Nico Minoru, Karolina Dean, Molly Hayes, Chase Stein, Alex Wilder, and Gertrude Yorkes - who discover that their parents are secretly members of a supervillain cabal called The Pride. After deciding they're no longer safe in their own homes, the kids go on the run. In the midst of hiding from their elders, the teens learn about themselves and become a family of their own.
The Runaways cast includes Rhenzy Feliz (Teen Wolf, Casual) as Alex Wilder, Lyrica Okana (The Affair) as Nico Minoru, Virginia Gardner (Goat) as Karolina Dean, Ariela Barer (New Girl) as Gert Yorkes, Gregg Sulkin (Faking It) as Chase Stein, and Allegra Acosta (100 Things To Do Before High School) as Molly Hernandez. To get to know more about each character, you can check out the character descriptions below.
- Rhenzy Feliz as Alex Wilder is a loud-and-proud nerd. Admittedly a bit of a loner, Alex spends much of his free-time playing video games, but deep down, what he wants most is to reunite his childhood group of friends
- Lyrica Okano as Nico Minoru – tough, intelligent, and independent – embodies teenage angst. A budding “Wiccan,” Nico’s carefully crafted goth appearance isolates her from her peers and family, but maybe what she really needs is someone to talk to.
- Virginia Gardner as Karolina Dean, model-perfect exterior with a lot going on behind her professionally whitened smile, is burdened by the lofty expectations and responsibilities put upon her by her parents. Underneath her veneer of privilege and perfection, Karolina is experiencing a newfound eagerness to explore her identity and pursue her own desires.
- Ariela Barer as Gert Yorkes is a purple-haired, bespectacled, contemporary riot grrrl. Never passing up a moment to stand on a soapbox, Gert sometimes wields her persona as a brash social justice warrior to mask her true feelings.
- Gregg Sulkin as Chase Stein is a lacrosse-playing, high school heartthrob. While many write him off as a dumb jock, Chase exhibits flashes of untapped brilliance in engineering, not unlike his wildly successful father’s.
- Allegra Acosta as Molly Hernandez, the youngest and most innocent member of her friend group, is known for her peppy positivity and a deep yearning to belong.
Marvel's Runaways premieres on Hulu starting Tuesday November 21st.