Capcom has announced the Mega Man Legacy Collection, a new release featuring the Blue Bomber's first six video games.
Here's the game description from Capcom's press release:
Mega Man Legacy Collection is a celebration of the 8-bit history of Capcom's iconic Blue Bomber. Featuring faithful reproductions of the series' origins with the original six Mega Man games, the Legacy Collection will remind long-time fans and introduce newcomers to what made Mega Man such a popular and iconic character. Mega Man Legacy Collection will feature all six games and more for an MSRP of $14.99 this summer as a digital download on PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC, and this winter on Nintendo 3DS. In addition to the six Mega Man games, Mega Man Legacy Collection features new ways to experience the classic games with the Museum Mode and new Challenge Mode. Challenge Mode remixes gameplay segments from all six games, with plenty of scaling difficulty objectives for experienced players to conquer yet serving as a good starting point for new players, too. Museum Mode contains a comprehensive collection of history, high-res art and original concept pieces – a mega treat for any fan of Mega Man and video game history.
Check out the announcement trailer below:
Here are the game features listed on Capcom's fact sheet:
- Six classic games in one – Play a piece of video game history with the original six Mega Man games and experience the origins of the classic series.
- 8-bit style with HD flair – The games retain their retro 8-bit style with an added HD finish, giving a crisp, clean look to the charming, classic sprites. • Challenge remix mode for new and veteran players – The robust new Challenge Mode remixes gameplay from all six games for a new type of challenge. It provides both increasingly difficult trials for experienced players and also teaches newcomers to become familiar with the style of the games and tackle some of the trickier areas.
- Museum of the era – The Museum Mode features a massive repository of history and art collected from the era of the games in this collection. Take a look back at the history of Mega Man with loads of information, high-res art, concept pieces, sketches and more in the Museum.
- Developed with an all-new engine – Using the newly developed Eclipse Engine, Capcom and Digital Eclipse are able to archive these six pieces of video game history with faithful reproductions of the originals for a new generation of gamers.
- Leaderboards and video replays – Fans will be able to watch video replays of the top players on the leaderboards, showcasing a whole new generation of Mega Man talent!
Capcom seems intent on silencing fans of feel that Mega Man hasn't received enough attention from Capcom in recent years. In addition to the Legacy Collection, Mega Man appears in Nintendo's Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and Nintendo 3DS, is featured in an ongoing comic book series from Archie Comics, and will have a new animated series debuting in 2017 to celebrate his 30th birthday.
Check out some screenshots from Mega Man Legacy Collection in the gallery below.