Thor: The Dark World is set to be released on November 8, 2013, so it might come as a surprise that director Alan Taylor is still shooting new scenes for the film. What’s even more surprising about the additional scenes is that rumors had circulated online earlier this year that Marvel Studios and Alan Taylor were are odds, because Marvel Studios felt Alan Taylor’s cut of the film was too long.
However, it turns out those rumors were false. In an interview with Collider, Alan Taylor himself dispelled the rumors. Alan Taylor said, “There was a rumor out there that I was hanging onto a long cut, and Marvel wanted a shorter cut, and hilariously that was never an issue, because no one that I know has even...I don't even know what the running time is. The changes going through now have nothing to do with running time."
As far as why Alan Taylor is still shooting scenes for the movie, it is more about adding some additional scenes, rather than re-shooting any previous scenes. When some new shooting with Tom Hiddleston was brought up, Alan Taylor said, “We're doing full scenes...scenes that were not in the movie before. We're adding scenes, creating scenes, writing scenes for the first time. I think the one you're probably talking to was a fun connective scene. It was just we realized how well Loki was working in the movie, and we wanted to do more with him."