In the world of horror, few names were as iconic in the '80s as Elvira, the personality portrayed by Cassandra Peterson. The persona combined the gothic look of horror host Vampira but gave her a much more comedic "Valley Girl" attitude, making many puns about the films she was introducing. The character gained so much success, in fact, she earned her own original film, Elvira, Mistress of the Dark, where Peterson starred as the titular character who inherited a mansion from a dead relative in an uptight town. The film is getting a massive Blu-ray treatment that's jam-packed with special features, documentaries, commentaries, and more.
The film's synopsis is as follows:
"When famed TV horror hostess Elvira (Peterson) quits her job after being sexually harassed by the station's new owner, she forms a plan to start her own show in the heart of Las Vegas. Upon learning that her great aunt Morgana has passed away, Elvira travels to the town of Falwell to claim her inheritance, only to soon find herself stranded in town when her Macabre Mobile's engine blows up. Once the stuffy locals get an eyeful of the scream queen's ample assets, all hell busts loose! Will she become Las Vegas' next big dance sensation or will she get burned alive at the stake?"
Check out the special features you can find on the Blu-ray:
- Exclusive introduction to the main-feature by director James Signorelli
- 2012 Audio Commentary directed by Sam Irvin with stars Cassandra Peterson, Edie McClurg and John Paragon
- All-new exclusive 2016 Audio Commentary with director James Signorelli, produced and hosted by Fangoria Editor Emeritus Tony Timpone
- All-new exclusive 2016 Audio Commentary with elviramistressofthedark.com webmaster Patterson Lundquist
- Too Macabre – The Making of Elvira, Mistress of the Dark: A brand-new feature-length documentary (100 mins) with Cassandra Peterson and actors W. Morgan Sheppard, Daniel Greene, Susan Kellermann, Kurt Fuller, Ira Heiden, Kris Kamm, stand-in Susan McNabb, and writer/actor John Paragon. On the production side, the doc highlights director James Signorelli, producer Eric Gardner, writer Sam Egan, public relations specialist Tony Angellotti, FX team members Steve LaPorte, Mark Bryan Wilson, and Yancy Calzada, as well as visual effects illustrator Larry Nikolai. Together, the 17 craftspeople interviewed share their memories on the making of the movie, as well as providing hilarious anecdotes.
- Recipe for Terror – The Creation of the Pot Monster: Featurette starring the film's special effects team, who discuss the development of the film's memorable monster, from its early draft stage to its remarkable final design.
- 2012 archive interview with Cassandra Peterson
- 3 never-before released behind-the-scenes clips from 1987:
- Mark Pierson on the Macabre Mobile
- Set-Tour with producer Eric Gardner
- Eric Gardner on preproduction of Elvira, MOTD
- Bally Pinball Video Tours: Elvira and the Party Monsters and Scared Stiff
- Exclusive HD remastered versions of the original theatrical Trailer & Teaser, as well as HD reconstructed US Trailer 2, Teaser 2, US TV Spot, German & French Trailer
- 7 never-before-seen original storyboard sequences
- Original US Press-Kit
- Original Script
- International Promotional Materials and Stills Gallery
The Blu-ray will be released with three variant covers, each one limited to only 1,000 copies. You can head to Cinespectral Films now to pre-order your copy, available on April 24.
- Horror Goes Heavy Metal In New Trailer For 'The Devil's Candy'
- Sink Your Teeth Into A New Trailer For Cannibal Thriller 'The Bad Batch'
- Open The Door To The New Teaser For Thriller 'They Come at Night'
[H/T Bloody Disgusting]
Want the chance to win one of Logan's claws thanks to Regal & IMAX? Click the here or the image below to enter!0comments