Phase 4 of the Marvel Cinematic Universe will not have two of Marvel's icons at the forefront after Avengers: Endgame, two figures who really helped build the universe into the behemoth it is now. That would be Robert Downey Jr.'s Tony Stark and Chris Evans' Captain America, who both had their stories wrapped up in Endgame. Now the universe charts a new course, and in the new issue of Disney twenty-three magazine, Downey spoke about why it was time for him and Evans to get off this crazy rollercoaster ride that is the MCU.
"We had to get off. We opted to, and knew it was part of the job to get off the bus while it rolled on to other destinations," Downey said. "There's something very sobering about it. I'm glad he and I will be there to welcome others as they retire their jerseys."
Downey isn't a fan of talking about his legacy, especially when people compare it to his co-stars like Evans and Hulk actor Mark Ruffalo.
"I really don't need to look any farther than my co-stars. Mark Ruffalo is an activist, Chris Evans is a diehard American and proponent of true democracy," Downey said. "I don't really have the gumption, the skill set, the drive, or the humility either of those guys do."
His legacy in the MCU worthy of celebrating of course, and while you can't see him in future films, you can relive the Endgame experience with the home video version, and you can check out the bonus content that comes with it below.
- Steve and Peggy: One Last Dance – Explore Captain America and Peggy Carter’s bond, forged in moments from previous films that lead to a momentous choice in Avengers: Endgame.
Blu-ray & Digital:
- Remembering Stan Lee – Filmmakers and cast honor the great Stan Lee in a fond look back at his MCU movie cameos.
- Setting The Tone: Casting Robert Downey Jr. – Hear the tale of how Robert Downey Jr. was cast as Tony Stark in the original Iron Man — and launched the MCU.
- A Man Out of Time: Creating Captain America – Trace the evolution of Captain America with those who helped shape the look, feel and character of this compelling hero.
- Black Widow: Whatever It Takes – Follow Black Widow's journey both within and outside the Avengers, including the challenges she faced and overcame along the way.
- The Russo Brothers: Journey to Endgame – See how Anthony and Joe Russo met the challenge of helming two of the biggest films in cinematic history ... back-to-back!
- The Women of the MCU – MCU women share what it was like to join forces for the first time in an epic battle scene — and be part of such a historic ensemble.
- Bro Thor – His appearance has changed but his heroism remains! Go behind the scenes to see how Bro Thor was created.
- Six Deleted Scenes – “Goji Berries,” “Bombs on Board,” “Suckiest Army in the Galaxy,” “You Used to Frickin’ Live Here,” “Tony and Howard” and “Avengers Take a Knee.”
- Gag Reel – Laugh along with the cast in this epic collection of flubs, goofs, and gaffes from set.
- Visionary Intro - Intro by directors Joe and Anthony Russo.
- Audio Commentary - Audio commentary by directors Anthony and Joe Russo, and writers Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely.3comments
Grab Avengers: Endgame on Digital HD, Blu-ray, and DVD now.
H/T Digital Spy
Disclosure: ComicBook is owned by CBS Interactive, a division of ViacomCBS.