The official patch notes for League of Legends Patch 7.17 are live, and though it might look like a smaller one, there's definitely enough here with new champions, game modes, and balance tweaks to keep players occupied until the next bit update.
"Continuing recent trends, 7.17's light on the balance front, but you'd be hard-pressed to call this patch "small" considering everything else going on!" the update's preview reads. "Ornn's emerging from centuries of solitude (sort of… he is a toplaner, after all), and five new Star Guardians hit the Rift Valoran Park. Not sure where Valoran Park is? Sit tight for Invasion, League's latest game mode. This patch also brings a sweet improvement to item sets—you can finally pre-select which slots your items go in when you pick 'em up!"
Read on to see the full list of changes that are coming with Patch 7.17.
The newest champion to join the ranks of League of Legends, Ornn the Mountainsmith is ready to start building allies up and tearing enemies down.
He's bring tons of CC with him and the ability to shop from wherever he pleases, so with those two factors alone, expect to see a lot of Ornn when he's released sometime during this patch. To prepare for that, here's a refresher on his unique abilities:
Passive: Living Forge & Master Craftsman
- Living Forge: Ornn can spend gold to forge items for himself any time he's out of combat. For convenience, suggested items appear in a special on-screen menu. Ornn can also open the shop manually to build any item.
- Master Craftsman: Ornn and his teammates have access to special upgrades for select items in the shop. Each player is limited to one of these upgrades.
Q: Volcanic Rupture
- Ornn slams the ground, sending out a fissure that deals physical damage and slows enemies. After a small delay, a magma pillar forms at the target location, functioning like a tiny wall for a few seconds.
W: Bellows Breath
- Bellows Breath: Ornn becomes unstoppable, shields himself, and belches out flames. These flames deal a portion of the enemy's current health as magic damage. Enemies struck by the final gout of flame become Brittle. Ornn's basic attacks knock back Brittle targets.
- Brittle: When Brittle, enemies suffer a portion of their maximum health as bonus damage when struck by immobilizing effects. Immobilizing effects also last longer when used on Brittle enemies.
E: Searing Charge
- Searing Charge: Ornn charges, dealing damage to enemies he passes through. If Ornn collides with terrain while charging, the impact creates a shockwave that deals damage and knocks up enemies. This ability destroys player-created terrain.
R: Call of the Forge God
- Call of the Forge God: Ornn summons a massive fire elemental at a target location. It then travels toward him with increasing speed. Enemies run over by the elemental take magic damage and become Brittle.
- Ornn can recast this ability to charge forward. If he strikes the elemental with the charge, he'll redirect it. The redirected elemental will then knock up all struck enemies, dealing the same damage as before and applying the Brittle effect
- Passive - League of Draven
- ADORATION STACKS LOST ON DEATH: 50% >>> 75%
- BASE GOLD ON CHAMPION KILL: 50 >>> 25
- Q - Mystic Shot
- RATIO: 1.1 total attack damage >>> 1.25 total attack damage
- E - Devastating Charge
- [NEW] CAN'T STOP WON'T STOP: Duration no longer ticks down during Onslaught of Shadow's charge
- R - Onslaught of Shadows
- FEAR DURATION: 1 second >>> 0.75 - 1.5 seconds (based on how far Hecarim traveled with his Spectral Riders)
- Passive - Sunlight
- MARK DURATION: 3.5 seconds >>> 1.5 seconds
- DAMAGE: 20-105 (at levels 1-18) >>> 25-144 (at levels 1-18)
- Q - Shield of Daybreak
- COOLDOWN: 9/8/7/6/5 seconds >>> 6 seconds
- Passive - Sap Magic
- WARDS AREN'T PEOPLE: Sap Magic no longer procs when Maokai attacks a ward
- W - Purge
- STAY FOCUSED: Purge now refreshes the duration of the 'locked on' debuff, preventing cases where Urgot would switch targets partway through Purge's duration
- E - Disdain
- QUICK RECOVERY: If Urgot casts Disdain during Purge but fails to toss a champion, Purge will now resume firing for the remainder of its duration a bit earlier than before (lockout period reduced to ||| ~1.375 seconds >>> 1 second)
- R - Fear Beyond Death
- SLOW DURATION & REACTIVATION WINDOW: 3 seconds >>> 4 seconds
- Base Stats
- BASE ATTACK SPEED: 0.644 >>> 0.651
- W - Living Shadow
- SHADOW DURATION: 4.5 seconds >>> 5 seconds
- ATTACK SPEED BUFF :: 20-35% >>> 25%
- HEALTH DRAIN BUFF :: 20-35 >>> 25
- BUGFIX: Fixed a bug where the Metallicize active forgot to remove Cinderhulk's +20% bonus health multiplier when calculating its health increase. Cinderhulk's multiplier always applies after all other health-modifying effects, meaning Metallicize was benefitting more than it should have.
- SO MUCH MATH: For example, at 1000 bonus health, the combination of Cinderhulk + Stoneplate was granting 1640 additional bonus health instead of 1400 with three or more enemies nearby. (These numbers don't take base health into account since that portion of Stoneplate's bonus wasn't bugged.)
Preferred Item Slots and Post-game Honor
In a welcome quality-of-life change that should help you trigger your items' actives exactly when you want to instead of smashing buttons to find the right answer, you'll now be able to assign certain items to specific item slots before the game ever begins.
- PERSONAL PREFERENCE :: Preferred item slots are a new feature of item sets (under the "Collection" tab). Settings are saved per item set, so make sure you've assigned your item sets to the correct champions and maps!
- CLICK ME :: Items added to an item set now display a grid icon in the upper righthand corner. Clicking the grid icon lets you assign a preferred slot for that item to occupy.
- REDUNDANCY IS OKAY :: Multiple items can be assigned the same preferred slot, but each item can only be assigned one preferred slot
- HOW ACCOMMODATING :: When you purchase an item with a preferred slot, your inventory will automatically shift to put that item in its preferred slot unless a different active item is already in that slot
- HOW FLEXIBLE :: You're still free to rearrange your inventory however you want in-game!
- NEVER MIND :: Switching item sets in-game also switches your preferred item slot settings. Reminder: the "Default" item set has no preferred slot assignments.
Other changes that were also shipped to the honor system allow those who want to move onto the next game to still get notifications when your receive honor, even if you don't see it right away.
- HEY WAIT :: A notification now appears when you miss honors from your previous match.
Hunt of the Blood Moon
The Hunt of the Blood Moon looms into rotation from 8/25/17 at 12:00 PM PT - 8/29/17 at 04:00 AM PT and 8/31/17 at 12:00 PM PT - 9/5/17 at 04:00 AM PT. Sacrifice Spirits, Demon Heralds, and enemy champions to gain points and the Demon Brand buff, which turns you invisible to hunt down your enemies.
Only 20 of the most vicious champions are available for the Hunt (10 of which will be free to play for the game mode only).
Free to play:
Available if you own the champion:
- Lee Sin
Star Guardian Skins and Invasion Game Mode
With the new patch, several additional champions will join the ranks of Star Guardians. The champions found below will all be receiving their own skin in Patch 7.17:
- Star Guardian Ahri
- Star Guardian Ezreal
- Star Guardian Miss Fortune
- Star Guardian Soraka
- Star Guardian Syndra
The new Star Guardian Invasion game mode will also be fully unveiled during the patch, so make sure you read up on the rules before hopping into the PvE action.
Witness the arrival of a new and mysterious Star Guardian team, and participate in the new Invasion game mode to help protect the city from a series of monster attacks. From 9/7/17 at 11:00 AM PT – 9/25/17 at 11:59 PM PT, band together in a five-player PvE game mode to defend the Starlight. Earn Starlight Tokens for completed missions on this custom map, and then craft those tokens into the New Horizon Ward and a Hextech Mystery Champion (random Champion Permanent). All Star Guardian skins are free to play during Invasion.
Stay tuned for more information during the Star Guardian event.
If you didn't catch some of the previous announcements, there was also some talk about the way that match history will be handled through League and through third-party sites. The changes described below deal with how other websites are allowed to display match history for normal games, namely that they'll be able to continued doing so with some restrictions in place.
At some point during patch 7.17, we'll update match history to be consistent with a change to Riot's API policy. Third party websites can now collect and display unranked data, providing they follow some guidelines. For more information, check the https://developer.riotgames.com/policies/data-policies.html (Developer Portal).
SITUATION NORMAL :: Unranked match history is now publicly visible
- Corrected Cho'Gath's suggested starting items to no longer cost more than starting gold
- Muramana now correctly refunds 15% of spent mana
- Blade of the Ruined King no longer causes Black Cleaver to apply two stacks per basic attack
- Fixed an interaction where energized attacks prevented some movement speed boosts, including Blade of the Ruined King's active and Warwick's W - Blood Hunt
- Urgot is no longer too cool to have Control Wards in his recommended items
- Yasuo can no longer activate Zeke's Convergence by attempting to casting R - Last Breath on enemy who is not currently knocked up
- Rek'Sai's E - Tunnel no longer becomes permanent if they are destroyed as she exits them
- Zac's Passive - Cell Division bloblets are now correctly invisible when in fog of war
- Star Guardian Jinx and Poppy no longer play their initial spawn song during their first respawn
- Twisted Fate's W - Pick a Card empowered basic attacks no longer consume all Energized buff charges
- Redemption's active is now correctly amplified by its own +10% Heal and Shield Power passive while the casting champion is dead
- Malzahar's Passive - Void Shift now correctly blocks Fizz's R - Chum the Waters
- Nidalee's W - Bushwhack is no longer considered a valid unit for Bard's Q - Cosmic Binding to stun against
- Illaoi's W - Harsh Lesson no longer does additional damage on crits when she dashes
- Zed's R - Death Mark no longer behaves inconsistently when interacting with Ryze's R - Realm Warp
- Fixed a bug where—when playing with a skin—Cassiopeia's portrait would revert to her base portrait while dead
- Arcade Hecarim's VO is now more audible
- Dark Star Thresh's center body buffbone now follow his model during all animations
- Star Guardian Lulu's buffbone  now follows her model during homeguard and recall animations
- Slay Belle Katarina no longer gets stuck in her recall animation if she uses Passive - Voracity right before beginning her recall
- Lancer Zero Hecarim's Q - Rampage VFX no longer ends prematurely after receiving the second stack
- Dragon Trainer Lulu's Pix no longer uses classic VFX
- Blood Moon Jhin's R - Curtain Call now has enemy and ally indicators
- Battle Boss Malzahar's auto attack animation is no longer faster than his base model's
- Players on low-spec mode can now properly access Honor tooltips on the end-of-game screen
- Banned players now have an accurate tooltip telling them why they can't play
- Fixed a bug where setting your status to "Away" didn't work
Neo Pax Sivir
The second event-related skin for Sivir, Neo PAX Sivir, is also scheduled to be added to loot possibilities later on in this patch. You can see more specifics on Neo PAX Sivir here from when the skin was announced earlier.
Neo PAX Sivir arrives later this patch! Neo PAX Sivir is a limited-time, loot-exclusive skin, craftable with 10 gemstones from 8/31/17 at 11:00 PT until 1/8/18 at 23:59 PT.
Note: Original PAX Sivir owners will automatically receive Neo PAX Sivir and a special loading border for their original skin. The original PAX Sivir will NOT be given away, added to loot, or made available again.