Last week, Disney held its Annual Meeting of Shareholders, where the company presented its upcoming slate of big movie properties - including the first official reaction to Star Wars: The Last Jedi, along with a sizzle reel of footage from the film.
While Comicbook.com (and a lot of other press) was able to listen in on the meeting, we weren't able to see the actual Last Jedi footage, in order to give fans an early breakdown. However, someone who was at the meeting in Denver, Colorado has sent out a description of the sizzle reel footage, giving us our first real insights into what Star Wars: The Last Jedi looks like onscreen.
The source of the report is a /Film reader named Matthew Hansen, who was supposedly at the Disney shareholders meeting in Denver, Colorado. Read below for the bullet point breakdown of what he saw - as reported by /Film:
- An interior shot from Star Wars: The Last Jedi featuring Luke Skywalker (in some sort of cave or maybe one of the stone huts seen on his island?) saying “Who are you?”
- Poe Dameron in his X-Wing yelling “It’s now or never” as it cuts back to BB-8.
- Fighters flying through a line-up of the Resistance fleet – had a feel similar to Rogue One over Scarif.
- Chewbacca roars.
- A shot of Captain Phasma.
- Finn dressed as a First Order Officer on the bridge of a First Order ship. Actress Kelly Marie Tran was standing to Finn’s left, also dressed in a First Order uniform.
- Several shots of Rey igniting and spinning Luke’s lightsaber.
- Rey’s hand, in slow motion, with all five fingertips touching the ground and pebbles and dirt hovering around her hand.
- Leia turning to the camera with a hologram of the fleet behind her.
- An X-wing flying into a hangar, possibly the Resistance’s since it looked like another X-wing was parked there – with the nose of the X-wing flaring/popping upwards as the X-wing braked quickly in the air.
- There was also a wide shot of the island, with Rey out on the point of a ridge practicing with her lightsaber as Luke is farther up the ridge, looking down towards her.
That's what was shown in the main sizzle reel. Later on in the presentation, Disney CEO Bob Iger also teased the crowd with a clip from The Last Jedi that would show what occurred moments after the ending of The Force Awakens; it was all a joke, but fans were curious just what Iger showed the crowd during the gag.
Thanks to Hansen's report, we now know that Iger showed the crowd Mark Hamill's Luke Skywalker grabbing his lightsaber from Daisy Ridley's Rey with both hands, and looking up at the camera in bewilderment. That's it. Nothing was said, nothing revealed.
So far, it sounds like The Last Jedi is a lot like Empire Strikes Back, in that half of it is a Jedi training tale, while the other half details the more drastic stakes of the good guys' war with the evil empire. That works just fine (if it ain't broke and all that...), but with Force Awakens drawing fair criticism for being a New Hope clone, let's hope Episode VIII manages to distinguish itself from Episode V.
Are you excited for Star Wars: The Last Jedi? Let us know with your rank in the Movie Database below!
Star Wars: The Last Jedi, from writer/director Rian Johnson, is in post-production now for a December 15, 2017 release. The film follows-up and continues the story of the next generation of the saga as Rey, Poe, Finn, and Kylo Ren find their place in the galaxy and follow the legacy of Luke Skywalker, Leia, and Han Solo. Daisy Ridley returns to star as Rey, with other returning stars John Boyega, Oscar Isaac, Adam Driver, Domhnall Gleeson, Gwendoline Christie, Peter Mayhew, Andy Serkis, Anthony Daniels, Lupita Nyong'o Mark Hamill, and Carrie Fisher as General Leia Organa. Benicio Del Toro and Laura Dern join the cast in as-yet-unrevealed roles.
More Star Wars News: