Today, independent developer Double Damage games announced that Rebel Galaxy Outlaw will release on PC on August 13, exclusively via the Epic Games Store, and at the price point of $30. Meanwhile, the game's PS4 and Nintendo Switch versions will follow "in the coming months." In other words, the pair of console ports will arrive sometime later this year. To accompany the release date announcement, Double Damage also released a brand-new trailer of the game showing off little gameplay, but a whole lot of its comedic side.
Rebel Galaxy Outlaw is a prequel to 2015's Rebel Galaxy, a cult-hit that didn't light the world on fire critically or commercial, but cultivated a hardcore base that really loved it. In it, you play as Juno Markev, an outlaw and smuggler who was going straight and settled down until events conspired to drag her back into a life of on the edge.
"After an encounter in a shady watering hole goes bad, your ship is trashed, and you find yourself in debt to an old friend and casino owner who gives you a rustbucket and some words of advice," adds an official story description.
Rebel Galaxy Outlaw comes packing "exciting combat, unique ships, a ton of great music," all that comes in a retro future package steeped in blue-collar Americana. The following "key features" are also outlined:
- A full single player story campaign. But there’s plenty of room to do your own thing and make some money – or some mayhem. The big empty is filled with lowlifes, cops, pirates, and blue-collar folks just trying to get by.
- Unique Autopursuit feature makes space combat accessible to everyone – play the way you want to, with game styles for novices to veterans.
- Slap down some cash for the right ship for the job. Outfit it with a vast array of weapons, armor, and gear. Apply a custom paintjob and get flyin’.
- Gamble for cash and equipment at the local watering hole with various side games, including: 8-ball, dice poker, slot machines and arcade games.
- Slide into your cockpit, switch on the Subspace Radio and listen to one of seven stations with over 21 hours of music, DJs and commercials – and full support for custom soundtracks.
- Meet and befriend an array of sketchy characters and call them up to lend a hand when needed. Join the community before flinging yourself into the final frontier!