This year has been quite an ambitious one for games, but what’s really surprising is how some of them are motivating developers to make even better ones for next year.
So admits the developers at Experiment 101, who are hard at work on an ambitious new project for THQ Nordic titled Biomutant. Speaking with The Wolf Hall, one of the studio’s co-founders, Stefan Ljungqvist, admitted that the game is similar in structure to another popular game from this year – Nintendo’s own The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.
He noted that the game has an inspired open world, where players can talk with characters and learn more about the world, instead of taking a linear route like in Horizon: Zero Dawn.
In addition, Ljungqvist also admitted that a central hub called the Tree of Life will be introduced to the game, with different roots that are guarded by a boss. Once you take down these bosses, you’ll be able to work towards healing the tree, and the more healed it gets, the more progress is made on your game overall.
Here’s the full lowdown on what’s included in the game, straight from the publisher:
- A New Take on 3rd Person Combat– The martial arts style combat system allows you maximum freedom of movement and agility while mixing shooting, melee and powers from your mutations.
- Evolve Your Game-Play– You’ll be able to recode your genetic structure to change the way you look and play.
- Next Level of Crafting– Mix and match parts to create your own unique single- or double-handed slash, crush and pierce melee weapons.
- Gear Up for Adventure– You have full freedom when equipping your character. Not only when it comes to choosing weapons you created, but also what type of gear you wear.
- Survive in a Vibrant Open World– You’ll create your own adventure as you journey explore the open world and what lies beneath its surface, by foot, mech, jet-ski, air-balloon and more.
- An Unusual Story With an Unusual End– A plague is ruining the land and the Tree-of-Life is bleeding death from its roots. The Tribes stand divided, in need of someone strong enough to unite them or bring them all down.