Until today, that is.
The team behind the popular multiplayer shooter confirmed that the event is making a comeback, starting on August 8th and running through August 29th. Of course, Lucioball will get a major focus for the event, along with bonus skins from Summer Games 2016 making a comeback – and for a cheaper price!
Here's the breakdown of the stuff you'll be able to pick up, between last year's outfits and new ones for 2017:
2017 Summer Games Cosmetic Items
- Legendary Skins will cost 3,000 credits
- Epic Skins will cost 750 credits
- Rare tier will cost 225 credits
- Common tier will cost 75 credits
2016 Summer Games Cosmetic Items
- Legendary Skins will cost 1,000 credits
- Epic Skins will cost 250 credits
- Rare tier will cost 75 credits
- Common tier will cost 25 credits
On top of that, both the 2016 Rio Stadiums map and a new 2017 setting for Lucio Ball will be included, and there are a number of tweaks in terms of Lucio's abilities this time around. These include:
- The ability to "boop" enemies has been removed
- Lucio's ultimate ability no longer pulls the ball toward the player, but now increases Lucio's speed and the speed of his "boop"
- Summer Games 2017 will also introduce a second competitive mode for Lucioball, allowing players to place and rank
Check out the trailer above, hosted by game director Jeff Kaplan, to get more details on the event. Like all of Overwatch's DLC, it's free of charge, and it wouldn't hurt to jump in and see what goodies you can rack up, especially if you got heavily into last year's Summer Games event.
This should lead us into Overwatch's fall season, where even more events – and possible new Heroes – could be introduced in time for the BlizzCon event that's coming up in November. We'll see what happens in the weeks ahead, but, for now, the Summer Games will certainly keep you busy.