The Bella Twins' memoir, Incomparable, hit shelves this week and included a boatload of stories about the pair's time working together in WWE. Some of those stories put the company as a whole in a flattering light, while others criticized it for questionable behavior. One such incident came from an excerpt written by Nikki, who was recapping the neck injury she suffered and surgery she had to undergo following her record-long reign as Divas Champion. According to her, WWE officials dragged their feet on helping her when she repeatedly spoke up about having neck problems.
"I asked for an MRI, but they told me that it wouldn't show anything," Bella wrote. "They had no answer when I explained that my legs were going numb and giving out on me in matches, that I could only lie down in bed for a few hours at a time. Finally I had an MRI. I was in Austin, Texas, and I was backstage. A doctor came up to me to say: 'Just so you know, we're not going to find anything.' I would have given anything for that to be true."
Bella wrote that at one point she texted a WWE official, "Is it because I'm a woman that I don't get the same treatment as the male Superstars?"
The doctors wound up telling her she was on the "cusp of being paralyzed" due to an extreme herniation that had stopped spinal fluid from reaching her C6 and C7 vertebrae.
"I was really frustrated because I felt like if I were a male Superstar, I'd be getting radically different treatment instead of being instructed to just sit at home and pray," Bella wrote.
She would eventually return to action as a member of the SmackDown Live roster. Her final match came at the Evolution pay-per-view in late 2018, where she lost a Raw Women's Championship match against Ronda Rousey.
WWE's next pay-per-view, Money in the Bank, takes place this Sunday. Here's the full card (as of now)
- WWE Championship: Drew McIntyre vs. Seth Rollins
- WWE Universal Championship: Braun Strowman vs. Bray Wyatt
- SmackDown Women's Championship: Bayley vs. Tamina
- SmackDown Tag Team Championships: The New Day vs. The Miz & John Morrison vs. The Forgotten Sons vs. Lucha House Party
- Men's Money in the Bank Ladder Match (filmed at WWE Headquarters): Daniel Bryan vs. Rey Mysterio vs. Aleister Black vs. King Corbin vs. Otis vs. TBD
- Women's Money in the Bank Ladder Match (filmed at WWE Headquarters): Asuka vs. Shayna Baszler vs. Nia Jax vs. Dana Brooke vs. Lacey Evans vs. Carmella
Disclosure: ComicBook is owned by CBS Interactive, a division of ViacomCBS.