The wait is almost over for Star Wars fans to be able to watch Rogue One: A Star Wars Story on repeat, and soak up every moment of the film. After weeks of rumors, Disney officially announced that Rogue One will come home on Digital HD on March 24, 2017 and on Blu-ray and DVD on April 4, 2017.
The home release will include a bevy of bonus material, including behind-the-scenes featurettes on every major character, and an intriguing-sounding feature called "Epilogue: The Story Continues," which promises to "look forward into the future, to the Star Wars stories yet to be told."
The home release for Star Wars: The Force Awakens included the 2D edition first, with a 3D special edition release coming several months later. While the box included in the press release and the release itself don't make mention of 3D, there is a note under Disc Specifications in the full release that indicates a 3D edition being offered. On The Star Wars Show, they announced a 3D release is simultaneous with the 2D release.
Bonus features include (but may vary by retailer on digital):
- A Rogue Idea – Hear how ILM's John Knoll came up with the movie's concept – and why it's the right film to launch the Star Wars stand-alone films.
- Jyn: The Rebel – Get to know Rogue One's defiant, resourceful survivor, and hear what it was like for Felicity Jones to bring her to life onscreen.
- Cassian: The Spy – Diego Luna shares insights into his complex, driven character, who becomes a hero through selflessness, perseverance and passion.
- K-2SO: The Droid – Explore the development of this reprogrammed Imperial droid, from initial pitch and character design through Alan Tudyk's performance.
- Baze & Chirrut: Guardians of the Whills – Go deeper into the relationship between these two very different characters, with Chinese superstars Jiang Wen and Donnie Yen.
- Bodhi & Saw: The Pilot & The Revolutionary – Forest Whitaker and Riz Ahmed reflect on Saw Gerrera, the broken Rebel leader, and Bodhi Rook, the Imperial pilot who defects.
- The Empire – Meet a dangerous new Imperial adversary…and cross paths once more with the most iconic villain of all time.
- Visions of Hope: The Look of "Rogue One" – The filmmakers describe the challenges and thrills of developing a bold new look for the movie that can fit within the world of the original trilogy.
- The Princess & The Governor – See what it took to bring the vibrant young princess of "Star Wars: A New Hope" – as well as one of her most memorable foes – back to the screen.
- Epilogue: The Story Continues – Filmmakers and cast celebrate Rogue One's premiere and look forward into the future, to the Star Wars stories yet to be told.
- Rogue Connections – Uncover Easter eggs and film facts hidden throughout the movie that connect "Rogue One" to the Star Wars
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story is in theaters now. Directed by Gareth Edwards, it's the first of the new standalone features from Lucasfilm and Disney, which take place outside the core "Skywalker Saga" of films noted by an Episode number. Rogue One tells the story of the small band of rebels that were tasked with stealing the plans to the first Death Star. The story spins directly off the opening crawl from the original Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope. In that crawl, it read: "Rebel spaceships, striking from a hidden base, have won their first victory against the evil Galactic Empire. During the battle, Rebel spies managed to steal secret plans to the Empire's ultimate weapon, the DEATH STAR, an armored space station with enough power to destroy an entire planet."