Toho is going all out for Godzilla's special day this year with newly announced special screenings, new merchandise, and much more that fans will be able to dive into! Godzilla has been a lot more popular in recent years than ever before thanks to not only the revival of the giant kaiju in Japan with the likes of films such as Shin Gdozilla, anime debuts in Godzilla Singular Point, and more. Then it's gone worldwide even more so through Legendary's MonsterVerse quadrilogy that is continuing with new projects in the near future. That makes celebrating the famous Titan all the easier every year.
With Godzilla Day fast approaching on November 3rd (commemorating the debut of the very first Godzilla film in theaters on November 3, 1954), Toho has announced a new slate of special collaborations they will be launching to celebrate. This includes some new screenings of Godzilla's classic films, new collectible releases from the likes of Mondo, Hot Wheels, and more, new food collaborations and a huge packed slate of other events. Godzilla Day 2022's various celebrations break down (as detailed by Toho) as such:
What is Coming on Godzilla Day 2022?
- One-Day-Only Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla in U.S. Theaters – Partnering with Fathom Events, Godzilla will make his triumphant return to the big screen in over 450 theaters nationwide for the first-ever U.S. showing of 2002's Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla. Fans are invited to celebrate with this exclusive, one-day-only screening of the film with subtitles, along with a never-before-seen featurette direct from Japan, and an exclusive message for the fans from Toho International's Chief Godzilla Officer, Keiji Ota. Tickets for this special event are available for purchase now online or at participating box offices. For a complete list of theater locations, visit the Fathom Events website (theaters are subject to change).
- Theatrical Screenings of the Original Godzilla - Toho International has also partnered with Alamo Drafthouse to host special screenings of the film that started it all, the 1954 classic Godzilla. Presented in Japanese with English subtitles, Godzilla will screen at Alamo locations across the country on November 3, with additional screenings at select locations. Check Alamo's website for screening dates and times.
Blankos Block Party x Godzilla Cosmetics and NFTs – Blankos Block Party, the immersive social party game where you play with and against friends, players are in for a treat this Godzilla Day! To celebrate the occasion, Mythical partnered with Toho International to put iconic monsters Godzilla, Mothra, and Mecha-Godzilla in the game as playable Blankos. Fans can purchase their favorite Godzilla-themed characters and NFTs now and can even watch a special gameplay featuring a discussion of the creative process between Chris Mowry, Toho's Creative Manager, and artist James Groman.
King (of the Monsters) Trivia - King Trivia, the makers behind the ultimate live bar and pub quiz experience, is partnering with Toho International to offer Godzilla-themed trivia events nationwide throughout the week of November 3.
Bring the Heat and Flavor with Jade City Foods – After last year's smashing success, Toho International is once again partnering with Jade City Foods to offer the ultimate Godzilla hot sauce for spicy lovers brave enough to try the various flavors. Serious fans who love to bring the heat can check out individual sauces or grab the 16-Piece Godzilla Hot Sauce Collector's Set ($235), available now! Alongside their popular hot sauces, Jade City is also offering a variety of coffees and blends like the Series 2 Godzilla Coffee 3-Pack ($50), as well as a range of dry rubs and spices like the Series 1 Godzilla Dry Rub 5-Pack ($50).
Langer's Godzilla-Sized Pastrami Sandwich – Langer's, the infamous Los Angeles-based deli and home to the world-famous #19 pastrami sandwich, is partnering with Toho International to bring patrons a Godzilla-sized sandwich promotion throughout the week of November 3! Aptly named the #68 in honor of Godzilla's 68th anniversary, the week-long special includes a monstrous version of the deli's pastrami sandwich with unlimited fries and soft drinks ($68). Fans can order the promotional meal deal from October 31 – November 5.
The King of Macarons – Macaron lovers unite! Honey & Butter Macarons, the specialty macaron shop in Irvine, CA, is teaming up with Toho International to create custom Godzilla-character macarons. Available October 29, November 3, and November 5 only, the shop will also have branded decorations on display and additional Godzilla-inspired merch for sale to celebrate Godzilla Day.
A Variety of FYE Snacks & Items – For Your Entertainment (FYE) is bringing everything sweet and spicy to the table with a line of Godzilla-themed treats that every foodie will enjoy! Heat-lovers can indulge in the 1/2 Pound Spicy Chocolate Bar ($24.99) filled with crispies and Carolina Reapers for an extra punch, the Godzilla Force of Nature ($12.99) Ghost Pepper Hot Sauce that will bring the heat to any dish, or the Godzilla Ghost Pepper Ramen 5 Pack ($14.99). If you're looking for something a little less spicy, grow your energy monster-sized with the Godzilla Blue Raspberry Reawaken Energy Drink ($3.99), or sink your teeth into these sweet Godzilla King of the Monsters Chocolate Mochi Bites ($9.99). Non-consumable themed items will also be available from the specialty retailer and include everything from an 8.5" Godzilla Light, (based on the 1995 Godzilla film, $99.99), a large soy-based Candle($29.99), a 5-pack of bamboo Chopsticks ($9.99), Temporary Tattoos( $9.99), a stretched canvas Paint By Number Activity Kit ($19.99), and much more!
Yokocho Ramen x Godzilla is Back! – Across the pond, fans can enjoy a "King of the Monsters" limited edition set menu from Yokocho, the infamous retro ramen house in London that has partnered with Toho International again to celebrate Godzilla Day. For just £23, fans can choose between two special bowls of ramen (with Godzilla-sized toppings included!), two desserts, and two special drinks (one cocktail, one non-alcoholic) served with edible Godzilla decorations. This special promotion runs from October 25 – November 30 at both the Panton and Heddon locations.
Hot Wheels x Godzilla – Mattel and Toho International have partnered to create three exclusive Godzilla Hot Wheels® cars to celebrate the King of the Monsters! The first of three will be available at retail in November 2022 exclusively at Target with the additional vehicles launching in 2023.
New Collection from Crunchyroll.com – Crunchyroll Loves, the in-house streetwear label from the global anime brand Crunchyroll, is launching a special collection in honor of Godzilla Day, celebrating many of Godzilla's iconic adversaries over the years. The seven-piece collection will feature Spacegodzilla, Little Godzilla, Biollante, and Mechagodzilla paired with a mix of vibrant colorways.
- Official Merch at Kinokuniya Book Stores - Godzilla invades Kinokuniya USA! Merch from the Official Godzilla Store is available now at Kinokuniya USA while supplies last. Get your hands on artbooks, clear files, stickers, figures, T-shirts, and more from the Official Godzilla Store online and at select physical locations.
- New Additions to the Godzilla Line from Super7 - Bask in awe of the mighty Godzilla and all of Toho's Kaiju creations with Super7, the premier pop-culture design house and producer of lifestyle-oriented collectibles, toys, and apparel that celebrate science fiction, giant monsters, comic books, punk rock, skateboarding, robots, and rebellion. Partnering with Toho International and recently announced at NYCC 2022, Super7 has added new items to its robust Godzilla collection, with over 10 all-new figures and apparel like the 1200ºC Godzilla Wave 3 Figure ($85), the Godzilla, Hedorah & Mechagodzilla Masks ($60), and the Anatomical Godzilla T-Shirt in Vintage Black ($30), available for pre-order through November 4!
- New Godzilla Swag from Mondo Collectibles – In honor of the monster's 68th birthday, Toho International is collaborating with Mondo to release a ton of new Godzilla merch from vinyl LPs, figures, and posters.
Apparel from Cavity Colors - Creating collectible items that are dripping in horror nostalgia, Cavity Colors is rejuvenating its partnership with Toho International to offer fans Godzilla-branded apparel. From t-shirts to sweatpants, the brands are releasing new items for the ultimate monster fans.
Dripping in Wearable Lifestyle with Heroes and Villains - A timeless approach to wearable lifestyle gear for those who expect more from the story, Heroes & Villains Premium Licensed Apparel & Accessories is working with Toho International to bring a line of jackets, hats, shirts, and hoodies that celebrate the Japanese sea monster.
Which of these Godzilla Day celebrations have gotten your attention the most? Let us know all of your thoughts about it in the comments!