The latest DC Comics event is set to bring about many more changes to the Rebirth line, and a new preview of the series reveals the Justice League will be taking a cue from Voltron and the Power Rangers.
A preview for Scott Snyder, Greg Capullo, Jonathan Glapion, FCO Plascencia, and Steve Wands' Dark Nights: Metal shows the League battling in an arena hosted by Mongul, who has the young Toyman at his side. They're all fighting robotic counterparts designed by Toyman for the contest when Batman makes a revelation.
After convincing his teammates to "assimilate" with the robots, they assume control of the contraptions and come together as one gigantic construct much like the Megazord and Voltron's assembled form.
Batman mentions that Toyman programmed the robots with this secret and left a clue in their latin name, Fulcum Abominus. When they take over and assemble the robots, Mongul attempts to flee.
It remains to be seen just how the Justice League comes to be captured by Mongul. Their powers are also dampened as each is fitted with pieces of armor to negate their abilities; Green Lantern has a gauntlet with a black hole that takes his light, Flash is wearing heavy boots that weigh down his speed, etc.
But with the help of Toyman, they obviously get out of the predicament and get a bad ass new robot to fight with in the process.
Dark Nights: Metal is shaping up to be a very fun story that will alter the DC Universe as we know it. The mystery of the Dark Multiverse begins when the first issue hits stores this Wednesday.
DARK NIGHTS: METAL #1
Written by SCOTT SNYDER • Art by GREG CAPULLO and DANNY MIKI
Foil-stamped embossed cover by GREG CAPULLO
Variant covers by ANDY KUBERT, JIM LEE and JOHN ROMITA JR.
- The superstar BATMAN team of writer Scott Snyder and artist Greg Capullo reunite for a massive, universe-spanning event!
- DARK NIGHTS: THE FORGE and THE CASTING hinted at dark corners of reality that have never been seen till now! Now, as DARK NIGHTS: METAL begins, the Dark Multiverse is revealed in all its devastating danger—and the threats it contains are coming for the DC Universe!
- DARK NIGHTS: METAL is a DC event unlike any other—one that will push Batman, Superman and heroes of the Justice League beyond their limits to take on threats unlike any our world has ever seen! It will take the combined might of the World's Greatest Heroes as you've never seen them before to face what's coming their way!
- "I've been planning METAL for as long as I've been writing Batman, but I want METAL to be built upon the stories happening now in Rebirth. Most of all we want to create new material that feels really modern and different. And above all, it's going to be fun. Even with terror and nightmares, it won't be grim. DARK NIGHTS: METAL will be celebratory, huge and crazy." — SCOTT SNYDER
- "I'm looking forward to rock'n and roll'n together again. Fans have been loud and clear; they want more from us. We're primed and ready to blow it up." — GREG CAPULLO