We just hit the motherload of leaks, and right before E3, too. The next issue of Game Informer will feature Assassin's Creed: Origins as the cover game, and that issue has found its way into the hands of some loose-lipped fans. We got more than a few scans, and a torrent of new information.
It's almost impossible to digest and present neatly, so we're just going to spill. For starters, Assassin's Creed: Origins will be launching on October 27.
October 27, by the way, is one of the rumored release dates for Project Scorpio, and we're hearing that Origins will feature optimizations for Microsoft's powerful new home console. These two dates corroborating each other could mean something, or else it could mean someone just fabricated the leak with intention (or got lucky).
We also got some edition and pre-order details:
Pretty standard stuff here. Pre-orders will come with a bonus mission called "Secrets of the First Pyramids," and deluxe and gold versions of the game will be available coupled with a season pass and special steelbook case.
Now it's time for the gameplay details. There are possible story spoilers ahead, so do NOT scroll down to the next slide if you're not interested in seeing some early game details.
These details are coming from forums, notably Reddit and NeoGAF. They were shared as a giant cluster of details with no space and next to no organization. We're not going to format this all into neat little paragraphs, friends. We're letting the fire-hose loose and letting these details smack you in the chest like they smacked us. Prepare yourself:
- More dynamic world
- Camel riding
- Underwater swimming
- Animals can attack other animals
- More RPG centric for skill points
- Protagonist Bayek can use a shield to deflect arrows, and can pick up enemy arrows stuck to his shield
- Tomb raiding
- Optimized on Scorpio
All new info: • Started working on game before unity • Brand new fighting system • New A.I. • No minimap but a elder scrolls type compass at top • No more sprinting button, speed depends on analog stick • Crouching is back • Story is being kept a secret • Eagle vision is a subtle pulse that highlights objects not enemies • Takes place during the ascent and reign of cleopatra • You can climb everything in the game • Large and small cities with many landmarks including Memphis and Alexandria • The controllable eagle leak was true • NPC's have a day/night cycle and includes time for them to eat, sleep, work, and "answer the call of nature" • Attack buttons are the right shoulder and trigger • A.I. does not take turns to attack • New combat system is more hit-box driven • As you fight, an adrenaline gauge fills up, and when both attack buttons are pressed powerful attacks are unleashed • Left shoulder button is lock on • There are treasures to find in the depths of the water (sunken ships, long-forgotten ruins) • Stat element of customization is removed • New gear system where players can improve specific parts of your gear by crafting materials • Leveling system that has a level cap of 40 • Bayek is not the only playable character in the game but that character is a secret • There are legendary items to loot in the game • You can add blocked arrows to your inventory • You can no longer one hit enemies that are more powerful than you with your hidden blade • Buttons for free-running up and down are removed • Puzzles are back but more challenging and less switches • Much more in depth ability graph with 3 paths (Seer, Warrior, Hunter) • There are gladiator battles in arenas
- Bayek starts as a Medjay (sheriff type character) and is in his 30s.
- He will become the founder of the Brotherhood (I don't know how this makes sense lore wise?)
- Customization - you can choose the look you want without this affecting stats!!
- Eagle vision is indeed through an eagle - called Senu
- Memphis and Alexandria are some cities
- Can equip two bows and two melee weapons at once. Also can use fists again.
- Can fire multiple arrows at once (ON A ** CAMEL!)
- Ptolemaic era
- Mini map replaced for a navigation type one (like Skyrim and Horizon)
- You will have to enhance your hidden blade (I think it says something along the lines of stealth kills not being a one hit kill anymore)
- Free form combat, no counters, has an adrenaline thing that builds up as you fight
- Horses and camels confirmed
- The Crocodile is indeed a target!
Can dive underwater
- Tomb raiding
- They say nothing about the modern day
- Anything is climbable including mountains and rocks
- Can poison dead bodies, lure enemies, tame animals
It almost seems pointless to ask at this point because there's so much information, but what do you think? Can we count on all of this, or are we being fooled yet again? Weigh in below:prevnext