The latest Spider-Man: Homecoming trailer is out (watch it above), and beyond the epic footage of Tom Holland's Spider-Man battling Michael Keaton's Vulture in a Marvel cinematic Universe world, we also got some more plot details about how Spider-Man's costume plays an active part in the story.
...or should we say, costumes. Already in the Spider-Man: Homecoming trailer we see Peter Parker/Spider-Man change outfits twice: though he starts off with the upgraded tech-heavy suit that Tony Stark designed for him in Civil War, we now know that the battle with Vulture on the Staten Island ferry causes a situation that makes Stark revoke his gift to Spider-Man - leaving Peter to once again don the homemade costume we saw "The Spider-Man" wearing in YouTube footage shown during Civil War.
However, Marvel movies (and merchandising) being what they are, we have to wonder: Will We See a Third Costume in Spider-Man: Homecoming?
Final Act Wardrobe
From the Spider-Man: Homecoming trailer, it seems as though Peter will lose his hi-tech suit about halfway in, and will have to have his climatic battle with Michael Keaton's Vulture in his homemade duds.
The question is: what happens after Spider-man proves himself a worthy hero by defeating Vulture? No one expects Spider-Man to keep fighting crime in a janky outfit - does Tony Stark return his original hi-tech suit? Or does Peter get something entirely new to wear?
With the latter, there's multiple possibilities for how that new costume could be obtained by Peter Parker...prevnext
Depends on the Maker
The question at hand regarding Spidey getting a third suit in the final act of Spider-Man: Homecoming is: who would make it?
The film's storylline deals with how the increasingly advanced technology littering the Marvel Cinematic Universe is starting to make its way down to street-level people like Adrian Toomes/Vulture (Michael Keaton), Herman Schultz/Shocker (Bokeem Woodbine), and Phineas Mason/Tinkerer (Michael Chernus). The themes of that story are also echoed in Peter Parker's storyline with Tony Stark, in the trailer scene where Peter claims to be "nothing" without the suit and its tech - to which Tony retorts that's he's nothing if he needs the suit that bad.
If Peter goes through a final arc of having to learn to rely on his own genius and powers (and not Stark tech) to win the day, then it could stand to reason that Peter Parker also learns to be more self reliant and designs his own threads to wear - with some increased resources, of course...prevnext
Which New Costume to Wear?
Depending on how Peter obtains his new suit (from Stark or self designed being the two most likely) then there are several options for what that costume could be.
- Iron Spider - When Spider-Man joined Team Iron Man in the Marvel Comics version of "Civil War," Stark gave him a new outfit that is referred to as the "Iron Spider" costume. It's red and gold like Iron Man's armor, and has array of gadgets - including mechanical Spider legs. If Tony gives Peter a new costume that will serve him during Avengers: Infinity War's big cosmic battle - this would be it.
- Classic Costume - While the Stark suit Peter wears at the beginning of Homecoming has a lot of throwback elements built into it (like the eyes and wings), there's definitely room to bring something a little bit closer to the traditional costume design to the screen. If Peter makes his own design, then something with fewer bells and whistles and a classic look would be fitting.
- Black Suit - This is just more wishful thinking than anything. Right now, it seems the upcoming Venom movie is not really connected to Spider-Man or the MCU - but if Spidey got to wear the black costume for at the very end of Homecoming and through Avengers: Infinity War, it would be a nice way backdoor prologue to the Venom spinoff, without Marvel having to get it's hands dirty.
- MORE: Tom Holland Comments on his involvement with Venom.
We've already broken down the list of Best Spider-Man costumes of all time - but if you had to pick a third costume for Peter to wear in Spider-Man: Homecoming, which one would it be?prevnext
More Spider-Man & Venom
In Spider-Man: Homecoming, a young Peter Parker/Spider-Man (Tom Holland), who made his sensational debut in Captain America: Civil War, begins to navigate his newfound identity as the web-slinging super hero in Spider-Man: Homecoming. Thrilled by his experience with the Avengers, Peter returns home, where he lives with his Aunt May (Marisa Tomei), under the watchful eye of his new mentor Tony Stark (Robert Downey, Jr.). Peter tries to fall back into his normal daily routine – distracted by thoughts of proving himself to be more than just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man – but when the Vulture (Michael Keaton) emerges as a new villain, everything that Peter holds most important will be threatened.
The cast includes Tom Holland, Michael Keaton, Zendaya, Donald Glover, Jacob Batalon, Laura Harrier, Tony Revolori, Tyne Daly, Bokeem Woodbine, with Marisa Tomei, and Robert Downey Jr. It also includes Jon Favreau, Martin Starr, Kenneth Choi, Michael Mando, Selenis Leyva, Isabella Amara, Jorge Lendeborg, Jr., JJ Totah, and Hannibal Buress.0comments
Spider-Man: Homecoming opens in theaters July 7, 2017. It currently holds an impressive 4.07/5 in our user anticipation ratings - but hat number may rise significantly with the release of the new trailer! Let us know how excited you are to see the film by giving Spider-Man: Homecoming your own anticipation rating below.
More Spider-Man: Homecoming:
- Venom to Launch New Shared Universe
- Why Venom Needs to be Rated R
- Second Trailer Teaser
- New Poster
- Does Vulture Run Damage Control in the MCU?