On Tuesday, ViacomCBS announced that the CBS All Access streaming service, home fo the expanding Star Trek television franchise, will rebrand as Paramount+ in 2021 as part of the service's expansion to include content from across the company's library of broadcast, news, sports, and entertainment properties. ViacomCBS will also bring Paramount+ to international markets with an initial debut in Australia, Latin America, and the Nordics in 2021. "Paramount is an iconic and storied brand beloved by consumers all over the world, and it is synonymous with quality, integrity and world-class storytelling," said Bob Bakish, President and CEO, ViacomCBS in a press release. "With Paramount+, we're excited to establish one global streaming brand in the broad-pay segment that will draw on the sheer breadth and depth of the ViacomCBS portfolio to offer an extraordinary collection of content for everyone to enjoy."
Along with the new branding, ViacomCBS revealed new original series that will debut on Paramount+. They include:
- The Offer, a scripted limited event series from Paramount Television Studios, based on Oscar-winning producer Al Ruddy's extraordinary, never-revealed experiences of making "The Godfather." The 10-episode event series is written and executive produced by Michael Tolkin (Escape at Dannemora and The Player). Ruddy will also serve as executive producer, and Emmy-winning producer Leslie Greif (Hatfields & McCoys) will executive produce and be a writer on the series.
- Lioness, a spy drama created by Taylor Sheridan (Yellowstone) with Sheridan, Jill Wagner, David Glasser, David Hutkin, and Bob Yari set to executive produce. Based on a real-life CIA program, LIONESS follows a young Marine recruited to befriend the daughter of a terrorist to bring the organization down from within. The series is produced by Paramount Network and 101 Studios.
- A reimagination of the Emmy-nominated series Behind the Music entitled MTV's Behind the Music - Top 40, which will unlock MTV's vault from the past 40 years for a unique and intimate look at the 40 biggest artists of all time, through their voices and their eyes. The series will be produced by Creature Films and MTV Studios.
- The Real Criminal Minds, a true crime docuseries based on the hit CBS Television series, and produced by XG Productions in association with CBS Television Studios and ABC Signature.
- The service is also developing a revival of The Game as part of BET's programming on Paramount+ from CBS Television Studios and Grammnet Productions.
These new shows join the service's previously announced plans for Kamp Koral, a new original children's series from Nickelodeon's SpongeBob SquarePants. Paramount+ will be the exclusive SVOD home of The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge on the Run in early 2021. ViacomCBS will announce other new original content ahead of launch.
CBS All Access began expanding earlier this year by adding properties from across other Viacom brands. Leading up to the Paramount+ rebranding, CBS All Access will expand its content offering to more than 30,000 episodes and movies and continue to develop additional original series across brands including BET, CBS, Comedy Central, MTV, Nickelodeon, Paramount Pictures, and more.
"The response from consumers in just the early weeks of the service's expansion already illustrates the tremendous opportunity ahead of us in bringing these phenomenal ViacomCBS brands together in one premium streaming home under the new Paramount+ name," said Marc DeBevoise, Chief Digital Officer, ViacomCBS and President & Chief Executive Officer, ViacomCBS Digital. "With the addition of even more content from across the portfolio as well as the new exclusive originals we are announcing today, we look forward to the early 2021 rebrand and bringing existing and new subscribers more of the compelling, genre-spanning live sports, breaking news and mountain of entertainment ViacomCBS has to offer."