You probably have a few boxes of Fleer or Marvel Masterpiece trading cards somewhere in your closet, and while the collectibility of some has aged better than others, there's no doubt that some of the art on those cards was stellar. Marvel is now bringing some of those amazing pieces to the comics this July to celebrate the big debut of Astonishing X-Men #1.
The book will feature a cast of fan favorites, including Archangel, Rogue, Gambit, Psylocke, Bishop, Fantomex, and Old Man Logan, so it's fitting that Marvel reached into the way-back machine and pulled some art from the X-Men Trading Cards set, all drawn, inked, and colored by the talented crew of Jim Lee, Scott Williams, Jesus Aburtov, Israel Silva, Chris Sotomayor, and more.
The art was remastered and recolored, and will appear on a series of covers for the month of July, and includes portraits of Bishop, Mystique, Storm, Gambit, Deadpool, Shadow King, Mr. Sinister, Jubilee, Psylocke, Colossus, Strong Guy and Polaris, and of course the one and only Rogue. You can view the entire listing of covers below and what books they'll be attached to. You can also check out some highlights from the set in the gallery.
1. ALL-NEW WOLVERINE #22 (Archangel)
2. AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #30 (Bishop)
3. AVENGERS #9 (Mystique)
4. BLACK PANTHER #16 (Storm)
5. CABLE #3 (Cable)
6. CAPTAIN AMERICA: STEVE ROGERS #19 (Gambit)
7. CHAMPIONS #10 (Cyclops)
8. DAREDEVIL #23 (Domino)
9. DEADPOOL #33 (Deadpool)
10. DEFENDERS #3 (Shadow King)
11. DOCTOR STRANGE #23 (Mr. Sinister)
12. GENERATION X #4 (Jubilee)
13. GWENPOOL, THE UNBELIEVABLE #18 (White Queen)
14. INVINCIBLE IRON MAN #9 (Colossus)
15. IRON FIST #5 (Sabretooth)
16. JEAN GREY #4 (Dark Phoenix)
17. MIGHTY THOR #21 (Sentinel)
18. MS. MARVEL #20 (Lady Deathstrike)
19. OLD MAN LOGAN #26 (Professor X)
20. PETER PARKER: THE SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN #2 (Psylocke)
21. THE PUNISHER #14 (Forge)
22. ROYALS #5 (Magneto)
23. SPIDER-MAN #18 (Shadowcat)
24. THANOS #9 (Strong Guy)
25. UNCANNY AVENGERS #25 (Rogue)
26. VENOM #152 (Polaris)
27. WEAPON X #5 (Warpath)
28. X-MEN BLUE #7 (Jean Grey)
29. X-MEN GOLD #7 (Mojo)
While you wait for Astonishing X-Men, make sure to check out our review of X-Men: Gold #1, and you can find the official description of Astonishing below.
Astonishing X-Men #1 is written by Charles Soule with art by Classified and a cover by Jim Cheung.
Old Man Logan, Archangel, Mystique, Rogue, Gambit, Bishop, Psylocke and Fantomex. Together, they are the Astonishing X-Men. But what brings this eclectic collection of heroes together? A familiar menace has once again reared its ugly head – reborn, renewed and resurrected. To defeat one of their greatest foes and rescue one of their own, the X-Men's greatest will assemble for a mission that will take them places you never thought they'd go!